Injured oto

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Naughts

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I can only think it got trapped somewhere. The base of the caudal fin is missing, the top is bright red. No aggressive tank mates.
Current temperature 82, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, ph 8, GH 140ppm, KH 180.
BB5A47AF-BFBF-4B99-8D1F-DFC8F2B5E52F.jpeg

Well the temp is a little high for otos. The only two species of oto that can be in that temp range is O. hoppe and O. vittata and both are rarely found in the trade.

Clean water is the best medicing IMO.
A better picture would also help.
What size is that tank?
What tank mates are there?
What could s/he have gotten caught on?

The temperature is just temporary because of the weather, it's usually 75.
I'll keep doing water changes, thanks.
Tank is 125 litres, about 32 US gallons.
Tank mates are neon tetras, pygmy cories, eques pencilfish and RCS.
I don't know what it could have caught it on. I have sand, smooth rocks and driftwood. The filter is a cannister. So I've no idea.

The temperature is just temporary because of the weather, it's usually 75.
I'll keep doing water changes, thanks.
Tank is 125 litres, about 32 US gallons.
Tank mates are neon tetras, pygmy cories, eques pencilfish and RCS.
I don't know what it could have caught it on. I have sand, smooth rocks and driftwood. The filter is a cannister. So I've no idea.
Ok. Good.
Id stay with that for a week and see how it does.
ok
nothing bad there. :)
Interesting. Driftwood close the the glass at all?

Interesting. Driftwood close the the glass at all?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, actually. One piece (the oto's favourite) leans in a corner. Should I move it?

The lights are off so I'll get one tomorrow. Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

The fish has a bit less red on the fin but the fin is now frayed at the ends so is it infected?
This is the log leaning in the back corner and on its own.
A87B30D3-3374-4DB7-8F19-24CD3D98F3DE.jpeg

D3F1442A-A7B1-4DCA-AC99-7FCE36253413.jpeg

My thinking would be nip/bit by a fish did this. I really would not suspect wood.

And of the fish mentioned, neon tetras may be responsible. Corydoras pygmaeus do not have teeth so that lets them out. Nannostomus eques may get annoyed at fish up in their territory, but this species is relatively mild-mannered, and their very small mouths which are permanently open would be unlikely, but there is no certainty with any fish. Paracheirodon innesi does have teeth, lots of them, and if one was especially aggressive for any number of reasons it could well inflict this damage on an oto.

I had to move my Nannostomus beckfordi and N. trifasciatus because they nipped any fish that came up to the surface, including otos. But those two species are much more feisty, but still, nothing is certain when dealing with live creatures. In some two decades of keeping N. eques I have never seen attacks on other species, only themselves, but with no damage being done.

My thinking would be nip/bit by a fish did this. I really would not suspect wood.

And of the fish mentioned, neon tetras may be responsible. Corydoras pygmaeus do not have teeth so that lets them out. Nannostomus eques may get annoyed at fish up in their territory, but this species is relatively mild-mannered, and their very small mouths which are permanently open would be unlikely, but there is no certainty with any fish. Paracheirodon innesi does have teeth, lots of them, and if one was especially aggressive for any number of reasons it could well inflict this damage on an oto.

I had to move my Nannostomus beckfordi and N. trifasciatus because they nipped any fish that came up to the surface, including otos. But those two species are much more feisty, but still, nothing is certain when dealing with live creatures. In some two decades of keeping N. eques I have never seen attacks on other species, only themselves, but with no damage being done.
Wow, I really didn't suspect them. Will clean water heal this? it looks so sore, I wish there was such a thing as fish pain killers. :(

Wow, I really didn't suspect them. Will clean water heal this? it looks so sore, I wish there was such a thing as fish pain killers. :(

I would only do water changes with a good conditioner. I rarely if ever treat isolated fish any longer, I learned years ago that they either usually died anyway, or they could heal themselves. I would try to find an aggressor if that is what this is, and I am by no means an expert in disease. Sit without moving a muscle in front of the tank for 30 mintues or longer, and see if you spot anything. If fish know you are there, they associate that with food and often stop their bad behaviours, but they soon forget you if they do not see movement.

Thanks, will do. I would rather find the aggressor and isolate that one. I was holding off isolating the oto because there is lots of algae where they are. I have only ever seen them eat natural algae, not algae wafers. I have some pebbles sitting in algae if needed but maybe not fresh enough. I agree that it would stress it out to be caught, moved and kept without its shoal. Fingers crossed it can heal. Thank you for the help Byron.

Thanks, will do. I would rather find the aggressor and isolate that one. I was holding off isolating the oto because there is lots of algae where they are. I have only ever seen them eat natural algae, not algae wafers. I have some pebbles sitting in algae if needed but maybe not fresh enough. I agree that it would stress it out to be caught, moved and kept without its shoal. Fingers crossed it can heal. Thank you for the help Byron.

You're welcome. Good plan. And otos usually willnot touch prepared foods if they are getting sufficient natural algae from the biofilms, but if they don't they usually can find the wafers and chow down.

So the oto didn't make it. The red fin returned to normal colour within 2 days but was frayed and by day 3 there was no tail left. Day 4 today and it died. I have been watching the tank each day before the water change but have not spotted aggression. The otos chase each other but I'm certain this is breeding behaviour. I'll keep looking though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back