Injured Murray River Rainbow

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lotsofcloth

Reaction score
I have a 55G tank with about 5 Australian rainbow fish and a number of smaller fish (skirt tetras, etc). One of the Australian rainbows is much smaller than the others and I suspect was beaten up on by one of the much bigger guys - as of yesterday, the small one is swimming at the top of the tank and it's fins (all of them) appear to have been nipped off. One of the large ones has been behaving aggressively lately so I am guessing he's the culprit.

Questions:
-Can fins grow back?
-I also have 20G long tank with only nano fish and a few Cory's. Would it be a good idea to move the injured rainbow in there so he is separated from the bigger ones who may have caused the injuries?

Water parameters in both tanks are normal and stable (0 ammonia, etc) and all of the other fish are fine; I do believe this is aggression and not disease. I'd like to give this guy a chance if that's possible...

I don't have a QT tank set up, but do have an empty 20G high in the basement - but it's not set up, cycled, etc.

Thanks.

Any pictures and video of the fish?

Rainbowfish don't normally attack each other, although big males sometimes bully smaller males. If you suspect bullying, then move the victim out for a few weeks and let it recover.

Any pictures and video of the fish?

Rainbowfish don't normally attack each other, although big males sometimes bully smaller males. If you suspect bullying, then move the victim out for a few weeks and let it recover.
Photo attached. You can also see a red spot by his gills, which appeared at the same time as the fins vanished. He is swimming near the top of the tank but is moving around and is eating normally. I keep saying he - though I don't know if it's a male for sure.

Attachments

• wmeexv3DRU23pGioO1btmQ.jpg
    wmeexv3DRU23pGioO1btmQ.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 33

Most reactions

trending

Back