Injured Fish Emergency - Any chance of survival?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I came back home from vacation to find that my betta attacked and injured one of my other fish. There were no signs of aggression before this. The victim is missing an eye, and I think a few scales. It was swimming around, occasionally stopping to rest on the bottom. Before I could remove the betta, she attacked again and now the fish is floating, moving the fins a little trying to swim. I moved the betta to a quarantine tank.

Knowing my luck of course this fish won't survive. I've never been able to save a fish. I can't euthanize because I have other fish in the tank. I can't move the fish because I have the betta in the quarantine tank. I just did a water change and cleaned the filter. Anything else I can do before this fish surely passes?

pictures of the fish?
Never mind I think it might be dead. It didn't move at all when I poked it with the net, I don't see any movement in the mouth or gills either. I can't get a pic right now, you'll just have to go off of the description. Of course it's dead. I can never save any fish.

Never mind I think it might be dead. It didn't move at all when I poked it with the net, I don't see any movement in the mouth or gills either. I can't get a pic right now, you'll just have to go off of the description. Of course it's dead. I can never save any fish.
Its ok. You cant save everything.
Ive lost plenty of fish in my time keeping fish. We live and we learn. Do you have anymore fish with the betta?

Its ok. You cant save everything.
I've lost plenty of fish in my time keeping fish. We live and we learn. Do you have anymore fish with the betta?
I have more fish in the original tank, the betta is by herself in the quarantine tank. I'm going to wait a few to see if the fish moves, if not then it's officially dead.

I'm sorry about your fish :rip:
But you can learn a lesson from this. While some people do say their bettas are fine in a community tank, it can go wrong very easily, since bettas are solitary and territorial by nature. Setting the betta up by himself in the seven gallon is a much better plan. :)

I'm sorry about your fish :rip:
But you can learn a lesson from this. While some people do say their bettas are fine in a community tank, it can go wrong very easily, since bettas are solitary and territorial by nature. Setting the betta up by himself in the seven gallon is a much better plan. :)
I know that now, I really thought I could take the risk. I guess bettas can get sick of seeing their tank mates one day.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back