Inheriting fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ClaireG

Reaction score
So I have a new tank and beginner to all this.. have had such a good response on my initial Hi thread for help. So much useful stuff I have learnt.
However reason for this thread is as I have spoken relentlessly about my new tank a friend has said, do you want these fish...?
Well I know what fish I want and some of which are the same, I would like Guppies, zebras, tetra neons and corys to start.
Whatā€™s the thoughts on getting fish from friends?

Attachments

• 433BDAB7-617C-4435-90E0-FCFFE8EF8BB3.jpeg
    433BDAB7-617C-4435-90E0-FCFFE8EF8BB3.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 38
So I have a new tank and beginner to all this.. have had such a good response on my initial Hi thread for help. So much useful stuff I have learnt.
However reason for this thread is as I have spoken relentlessly about my new tank a friend has said, do you want these fish...?
Well I know what fish I want and some of which are the same, I would like Guppies, zebras, tetra neons and corys to start.
They are the fish not my tank!

How big is your tank?

Guppies, Zebra Danios, and Neon Tetras shouldnā€™t be kept in the same tank for a number of reasons.

Guppies need hard water, while danios and Tetras prefer softer water.

Guppies and Neons usually donā€™t get along, because the Neons will nip at the guppies colorful tails. The danios may also nip at the neons and the guppies.

If itā€™s what you would like then yes, I mean its free fish, but if you want something else then get something else and donā€™t take those fish. Get what you will be happy with. I also agree with @PheonixKingZ.

I want guppies more than anything as they are so pretty and quite hardy I understand. Also Corys . I have got got sand specifically for them as I have learnt they donā€™t like gravel as damages their fins. Interesting to hear about the danios and tetras as I didnā€™t realise that. My tank is 125 litres

They are the fish not my tank!
Algae is harmless anyway, wouldn't judge even if it was your tank :D

I agree with @PheonixKingZ (makes a change, eh, PK? ;)) that guppies really need harder water than tetra and danios.

The cories, which species of cory are they? Because some can cope with harder water. Aeneus and sterbais are okay with water up to 267ppm.

As well as the water hardness issue, I agree with not housing male guppies with danios or neons. I tried it once in a pinch, and either the zebra danios or the neons shredded the male guppies tails. That led to fin rot... not worth the risk, even if you ignore the water problem.

But, nothing wrong with taking in other people's fish if you want to! Don't feel pressured to take fish you don't want, but if you're okay with it and have the space, why not! Sometimes you'll get a less than ideal stocking, and you have to work with what you have, even if it means letting them live out their lives in the "wrong" water or the wrong school numbers until they pass naturally.

Ah, I just took another look at the pic, and the male guppies tails are already shredded :(

See how their tails are all split? Exactly what happened to mine when I put them in a tank with a few danios and neons. They need to be in different tanks. If you take either the guppies and cories, or the danios and neons, would your friend keep the others?

Bear in mind if you do take the guppies, they're gonna need help to recover the damage,so you might end up needing to buy meds and do a lot of extra water changes to try to help them heal up.

What's your water hardness?

Iā€™m sure the good folk at SeriouslyFish.com will be interested to read the posters who say Zebra Danios donā€™t like hard water reasoning.

I detest Zebra Danios. I had one that ate the fins off my Gourami until I had to euthanize him, then the little jerk chased each of his buddy zebras around until they dropped dead. Finally he was the only Zebra left - so I put him in a tank with a bunch of other schooling fish that wouldn't put up with his antics - he kept trying to swim in their little school. Zebra danios like moderately hard water Wikapedia and my fish tank say so, Guppies also like moderately hard water. I would never put the two species together, Zebra danios are about the most boring fish there are and very aggressive to fish with fins, Guppies have babies constantly - like 200 or more at a time - do you really want to deal with that? Some places won't let you pick only males - plus they may fight. All female tank would be cool but females can "hold" the sperm to fertilize the next set of fry beginnings they plan on having - so you have to wait until after about 2 pregnancies before your safe from having all those babies (it's no fun watching the babies getting eaten by everybody either - at least it's not something I enjoy watching) Your tank is big enough to hold some decent fish. Love the Cory's also like Plecos (bristlenose) Dwarf Gourami are very colorful but prefer semi-soft water. Only add a few fish at a time - you don't know how much bacteria you have yet so don't put in a bunch of fish at once. I like the larger size tetras - not the tiny kind. They are just nice solid fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back