Can I put 2 in a 30g

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vcubed7

Reaction score
I'm going to get a 30 gallon for mudskippers.
1. How can I make or where can I get a tide system
2. How many can I put in there
3. Can I put Killifish in the tank
4. Do you need a tide system

What are the dimensions of the 30gallon tank, length x width x height?

Are you getting giant mudskippers or the small ones? Giant or king mudskippers grow to a foot long, the normal ones grow to about 4-6inches.

-----------------------
Mudskippers need seawater or brackish water. For mudskippers, brackish is usually about half strength seawater. This means no killifish and generally no small fish because mudskippers eat small things. And big fish will bully the mudskippers. Mollies would probably be ok for tank mates but that depends on tank dimensions. If you do add mollies, make sure you quarantine them for a month before adding to the mudskipper tank.

Normally mudskippers are kept in a single species tank.

-----------------------
You don't need a tide system but mudskippers do need somewhere to come out of the water. We used smooth river rocks and stacked them up and had a nice sized smooth flat rock on top. The mudskippers would hop up onto the rock and we fed them on it. They do like their own platform to come out of the water so each fish should have a spot where it came come out of the water. eg: you have 2 fish so you need 2 platforms.

If you want to make a tide system get 2 tanks the same size and have a hole drilled in the bottom corner of one tank. Get this tank plumbed for a trickle filter and put a couple of cuts/ holes in the drain pipe about 6 inches above the base. The tank with the hole and pvc pipe goes on the top of a double tier stand. The other tank goes on the bottom of the stand and is used as a trickle filter/ sump.

The fish live in the top tank and you pump water from the bottom tank up to the top tank and it fills the tank up to the height of the drain pipe and then the water starts draining down the overflow pipe and back into the bottom tank.

You have 2 water pumps in the bottom tank. One pump is on a timer and goes on and off during the day. The second pump is run continuously and pumps just enough water into the tank to keep the water about 6 inches deep. The water from this pump drains out the cuts/ holes in the pipe. When the second pump comes on, the extra water fills the tank up to the top of the overflow pipe and then the water flows down the pipe and into the sump.

If you know an electrician you can plumb in some solenoids and use a computer program to turn the solenoids on and off but the cheapest option is 2 small water pumps, with one on a timer.

-----------------------
Mudskippers will eat any marine food and algae. We fed ours on marine mix with vegetables blended up into it. Marine mix is prawn, fish, squid and mussel minced up together and then you mince green leafy vegetables and mix it all up. Put the mixture into small plastic bags and flatten them out and freeze, or put the mixture into ice cube trays and freeze.

If you don't want to make marine mix you can buy it from most petshops or just feed the fish a variety of foods ranging from prawn, fish, squid, etc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back