Increasing salinity to rebalance KH

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

peterS

Reaction score
We've got our new saltwater tank cycled now, but due to a c*ck between my wife and I adding things after a water change, we've managed to get the KH, calcium etc. out of whack with the salinity. So, after a water change my KH and calcium are currently about right - 12 and 430, but the salinity is around 30. If I add the reef salt to get it back to 35, it'll push the KH and calcium too high. Is there something I can add to just push up the salinity without pushing up the KH at the same time to get them aligned again. There's no livestock in the tank at the minute, so I can do anything I like to it right now, within reason...

Thanks

pete S

Either do a large water change or add plain old NaCl.
Just in case you are not aware (and apologies if you are :)) when you top up due to evaporation you should use pure RO. Salts and minerals do not evaporate out with water so that is the way to keep your levels stable.

Either do a large water change or add plain old NaCl.
Just in case you are not aware (and apologies if you are :)) when you top up due to evaporation you should use pure RO. Salts and minerals do not evaporate out with water so that is the way to keep your levels stable.

Thanks Sean. I guess my underlying question is - what can I use as a source of pure enough nacl - I assume any "salt" you'd buy will have lots of additives.

And, I guess a follow up question. Our tank is newly cycled - a week or so since everything stabilized. Is there any problem with doing, say, an 80% change at this point. I know the bacteria live on the surfaces, in the filters, on the rocks etc. rather than in the water, but is a big change "safe" at this point - if so, it might be the easiest approach (and will get rid of any residual nitrates as well).

I use API salt in FW. So I think its good but cannot vouch for it based on personal experience in marine tanks. But large water changes will not disrupt your cycle and since you already have (I assume) a reef mix this may be the easier option.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back