Increase filtration

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

t3ch

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a 135 gallon african cichlid tank with about 32 fish which some are really big (like my giant pleco and some Malawi Sand Diver and Chrysonotus. I currently have a fluval 405, a fluval 406 and 2 power heads to help with oxygen and water circulation. At first things were good but as fish grew and I added more I'm starting to find the limits of this setup as after 1 month the filters are very dirty and ammonia creeps in if I don't do weekly 30% water changes and I'll be moving about 20 red shoulder babies which are starting to be big enough to be in the big tank soon. Any suggestions?

Hi everyone,
I have a 135 gallon african cichlid tank with about 32 fish which some are really big (like my giant pleco and some Malawi Sand Diver and Chrysonotus. I currently have a fluval 405, a fluval 406 and 2 power heads to help with oxygen and water circulation. At first things were good but as fish grew and I added more I'm starting to find the limits of this setup as after 1 month the filters are very dirty and ammonia creeps in if I don't do weekly 30% water changes and I'll be moving about 20 red shoulder babies which are starting to be big enough to be in the big tank soon. Any suggestions?

I would remove the smallest of your canisters and replace it with something like a fluval FX6 - they are great for African tanks. While the new filter is getting established with good bacteria, the existing filter (either the 405 or 406) should be able to handle the extra load - but just in case, I would do at least 60% water changes, feed only once a day (with one day of no feeding each week) and test daily for spikes.

Imho weekly water changes are mandatory anyway, even if you improve filtration. You could do up to 50%.

My only problem is I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off so I usually do 30% water change the day I get home, sometimes a small one in the middle of my time home and I do 30-40% on the day I leave for work

My only problem is I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off so I usually do 30% water change the day I get home, sometimes a small one in the middle of my time home and I do 30-40% on the day I leave for work

You should definitely be doing much larger water changes. You could put all the filters in existence on an aquarium but you would still not reach the benefit of one regular weekly water change of 60-70% of the tank volume. Filters simply cannot replace water changes. Filtration removes suspended particulate matter, and in this it can be beneficial to have more, depending upon the specifics. But bacteria can only operate, and will only operate, according to the biology, regardless of filters. This is not to imply that less filtration (meaning, "filter" equipment) will work or doesn't matter--the filtration has to be adequate for the tank volume and fish load; but "more" filters beyond this point will not benefit.

Here, I would recommend increasing the volume to at least 60-70%. One large water change once a week is more beneficial than smaller volume daily water changes. Example, doing 10% every day is not even close to changing 70% once a week.

There is scientific data to substantiate all this, just so you know it is not some wild fantasy I have. :)

Byron.

Have any of you being able to use those python sink water changer on new style sinks? mine won't fit and there is no way I can do 70% weekly water changes weekly especiall the gf won't do it when i'm gone.

Have any of you being able to use those python sink water changer on new style sinks? mine won't fit and there is no way I can do 70% weekly water changes weekly especiall the gf won't do it when i'm gone.

Please accept this comment in the spirit intended, for the health of your fish; I'm not trying to belittle anyone.

When we take upon ourselves to maintain an aquarium with fish, we take on the responsibility to look after them properly; they are living creatures and deserve no less from us, if you want them to be healthy. Increasing significantly the volume of water changes when you are able to do them would certainly be better for the fish than at present, and it should not be difficult to instruct someone on how to manage such a simple task, when the fishes' lives are at stake.

The sink faucet problem is common; I run my Python into the laundry room sink, which I had fitted with a threaded tap like an outdoor type to which I can attach hoses.

Byron.

Oh definitely Byron and I appreciate your advice. I take good care of my tanks unfortunately new work circumstances came up and as my girlfriend doesn't want much to do with these tanks other than small maintenance and watching the fish. I really wish there would be a way to use the python as she would do that i'm sure and well, it takes a while to change 70% of the water bucket per bucket. Unfortunately I don't have another accessible sink on that level I could hook up to.

Should I still be looking at changing 1 of my 2 filters for an FX6 and keep the current water change schedule for an improvement?

20170110_115547.jpg
I screw this on in place of my shower head, cost less than one of them plastic adapters, and is not easily stripped

very good idea unfortunately I don't have a shower nearby. Do you think an idea like this could work on my dishwasher? it's the only other thing than the sink near that tank...

Should I still be looking at changing 1 of my 2 filters for an FX6 and keep the current water change schedule for an improvement?

The FX6 will definitely help you, but as Byron said it isn't a replacement for water changes. But is really is a beast of a filter - I have an FX6 and a 306 on my 60 gallon African tank. I had to go overseas for 5 weeks last year, so that meant no water changes, just 3 weekly feeds when my parents came over to check the mail. When I came home my ammonia/nitrites were zero and nitrates were just under 20ppm. Its a great filter.

The FX6 will definitely help you, but as Byron said it isn't a replacement for water changes. But is really is a beast of a filter - I have an FX6 and a 306 on my 60 gallon African tank. I had to go overseas for 5 weeks last year, so that meant no water changes, just 3 weekly feeds when my parents came over to check the mail. When I came home my ammonia/nitrites were zero and nitrates were just under 20ppm. Its a great filter.

Sounds like i'll go this route and eventually try to figure out a solution to use my python and then change more water.

Hi everyone I just wanted to update I ended up getting a brand new FX6, I was lucky and got a deal for $260 canadian. My setup is now a fluval 406+fluval fx6

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back