Inca apistos

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stevens2394

Reaction score
Hey everyone ! New to apistos so need some help! Just got a pair of Inca 50 apistos . I got them yesterday and they are still hiding all day . They eat minimally . My water is 78. pH 6.2-6.5 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate . I have driftwood and a Anubias in the tank as well. The tank is 10 gallons . Is this normal behavior ? How do I get them to stop hiding ? It’s almost as if there scared of me lol

Because they are new they are stressed. You don't say if you bought them from a store or had them delivered but with both there is stress involved. It can take some fish a couple of weeks to settle in.

10 gallons is a bit small for apistos. If the tank was bigger, dither fish might help but a 10 gallon tank is not big enough for any other fish as well as the apistos.

I've found that apistos are sensitive to being moved and take a while to settle in.

I have just googled inca apisto to find out what species they are. Google tells me they are Apistogramma baenschi.

Are you aware that the tank size recommended for these fish is at least 32 x 12 inches? Males grow over 2 inches long.
Also: "This species also requires require acidic conditions with negligible carbonate hardness and very low general hardness so a reverse osmosis unit or other method of obtaining soft water may need to be employed, and this can be further acidified using phosphoric acid or similar if necessary."

Yes I used RO water the PH is low. I got them from a fish store

I would not be concerned yet. I have found apistogramma's to be very sensitive to new environments. They are a very shy fish and take many days to be accustomed to a new tank. I would recommend, if they are not eating yet - to abstain from feeding them for a day or two as it'll just pollute your water. I would then try frozen or live blood worms. My A. Cacatouides will aggressively and greedily attack bloodworms at a moments notice.

Do you provide them with multiple caves and woodwork? They traditionally live in a leaf strewn, shallow river/stream with lots of branches to offer security.

I do believe that most apisto pairs are fine a 10 g as long as they have very clean water and plenty of hiding spaces. They would obviously benefit from a larger tank if offered.

I would not be concerned yet. I have found apistogramma's to be very sensitive to new environments. They are a very shy fish and take many days to be accustomed to a new tank. I would recommend, if they are not eating yet - to abstain from feeding them for a day or two as it'll just pollute your water. I would then try frozen or live blood worms. My A. Cacatouides will aggressively and greedily attack bloodworms at a moments notice.

Do you provide them with multiple caves and woodwork? They traditionally live in a leaf strewn, shallow river/stream with lots of branches to offer security.

I do believe that most apisto pairs are fine a 10 g as long as they have very clean water and plenty of hiding spaces. They would obviously benefit from a larger tank if offered.
Yes I have driftwood a couple life plants and caves . It looks like they have fin rot but again the water is more or less perfect for them from what I’ve read . Should I use melafix? That’s about all I have right now

They were out briefly this morning

Attachments

• 4C085946-B3D1-4BEC-AFBE-EDCAA660DCD9.jpeg
    4C085946-B3D1-4BEC-AFBE-EDCAA660DCD9.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 71
  • CA5A61D0-8545-45D0-8D12-C776C80729E8.jpeg
    CA5A61D0-8545-45D0-8D12-C776C80729E8.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 66
I would recommend adding some tank safe branches like this. Apistogrammas like small caves with small openings, like this. It will be hard for them to feel safe to come out without having decorations that match their natural environment. They are a shy species. My apistos get spooked if I walk into the room too fast and the abruptly hide -- it's just their nature.

Dither fish (such as a danio, tetra etc.) can help encourage them to come in the open but I would recommend adding dither fish only if you get a larger tank.

Unfortunately the male did not make it . Don’t think the female is to far behind . I think my store is selling me sick fish will be ordering a new pair in the next week or so

Unfortunately the male did not make it . Don’t think the female is to far behind . I think my store is selling me sick fish will be ordering a new pair in the next week or so
What type of test kit are you using?

How long has the tank been established?

Sorry for your loss.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back