Inbreeding Of Guppies/other Animals

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What is this adam and eve stuff? We already know this was not the case, we went through stages of evolution to get where we are now. Not with two random people making babies......

It doesn't matter what you believe, either way any population starts off with a limited number of individuals.  The basis of evolution is that a mutation starts off in an individual or small group of individuals that gives them an evolutionary advantage.  Over time their offspring will outcompete the original species assuming that they still occupy the same ecological niche.  In that sense everything on Earth must be selectively inbred.

And look at people these days
whistling.gif

(just go watch Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer if you need evidence!)

lets get back to inbreeding fish please,          
 fish in questioned mentioned by ricefish. skiffia francesae extinct in the wild since 1976 
photo of a male  from my own stock
 post-27009-0-57749400-13595809721.jpg

And that has what to do with ? Is there a question over this species?

EDIT* I think Ricefish misread what I had typed :) I hadn't condemmend or even mentioned inbreeding at all but seems sorted now I assume?

MBOU said:
And that has what to do with ? Is there a question over this species?

it has every thing to do with inbreeding of fish.
without dedicated fish keepers like my self and many others around the world and there aren't
many People keeping this species, without inbreeding many fish like this one would not exist 

Sorry, I didn't really get your post as you didn't say why you just posted photo of a fish etc, was a bit slow off the mark there! Sorry

But.. exactly my point :) dedicated and knowledgeable fish keepers...

Nothing wrong with inbreeding so long as it is done with a specific aim in mind (improving the species or keeping the species alive) by people who know what they are doing and the consequences of it.

I am not even going to do all the "Backreading" on this topic, BUT!!!!.... I am going to state categorically ..... Since 1995.... I started a culture of guppies from 2 males... and 5 females..... and... that specific beginnings led to more than 20,000 healthy.... an very hardy offspring in less than 10 years....... I sold all..... and as it was.... only one female fry was overlooked in the collection by the buyer.....  so... I started a new culture with this one female.

I currently have (again) .... in the region of about 15,000 guppies.... (stemming from that 1 remaining female) ..... and.... they are beautifull and healthy fish.... so!.... to answer the question in the topic title..... absolutely no ill-effects due to inbreeding of Guppies..... in my experience!........

You should back read Ludwig :p pretty sure you were mentioned in there somewhere lol!

MBOU said:
You should back read Ludwig
tongue2.gif
pretty sure you were mentioned in there somewhere lol!
See!!.... now you made me read back.... and... I'm glad I did..... I lost the link to that video of mine and now found it again... thanks Snazy....

No problem Ludwig. I hope you didn't mind me posting your own videos around.

It lovely to have you back Ludwig :D

Most reactions

Back