In search of...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Velatelen

Reaction score
Having just got back into fish keeping I am scanning the webs for new to me fish. I’ve found one I really like but cannot find it for sale anywhere. Threestripe Gourami (Trichopsis schalleri) also called the Mekong croaking Gourami. Problem is when you look for croaking Gourami it’s not the same fish. Any idea where I might find a Schalleri?

There are several species of Trichopsis and the smallest one, T. pumila, seems to be the one everyone sells, at least in the UK. It is possible that no-one sells it because there is no demand. Maidenhead Aquatics website (a UK chain of fish stores) does comment that it "is the least common Trichopsis species in the trade"

Interesting, as the smaller Gourami are so similar why one would be so much less popular. I just really like the almost spade like tail shape. I’m in the US and cannot seem to find much variety in my area. Just have never really been into the cichlid or guppy but stores sale what customers buy so obviously I’m in the minority.

it seems to be very rare, I cannot find any website that sells them either.

E7D37E4A-BFEE-473A-A6F0-52AC74DE84DC.jpeg

this is the picture I found on with google. Just think the tail shape and the way the fins color on such an understated fish

I couldn’t find a place that sold them though. Bummer. :(

Hey at least it’s not just my incredibly terrible search skills thanks for the help.

This species, Trichopsis schalleri, is very rare in the hobby. Being in Florida, you might find a seller in the Eastern US. Out west in Portland, Oregon there is a fish store called The Wet Spot which has a mail order in the US. This store has a good reputation, though I have never been down there. It has had this species a year or so ago, so it may get it periodically.

This species, Trichopsis schalleri, is very rare in the hobby. Being in Florida, you might find a seller in the Eastern US. Out west in Portland, Oregon there is a fish store called The Wet Spot which has a mail order in the US. This store has a good reputation, though I have never been down there. It has had this species a year or so ago, so it may get it periodically.

They do have it as an option have called for availability but they call it a Giant Sparkling Gourami so thanks a lot seem to have a huge variety in general

They do have it as an option have called for availability but they call it a Giant Sparkling Gourami so thanks a lot seem to have a huge variety in general

You can never go by common names, as these can be misleading due to being made up by whomever. The scientific name is all you can use, and as it is the one you are looking for, this fish is without question the species. Scientific names are distinct to one species and must be assigned in conformity with the binomial classification system established and enforced by the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature [ICZN].

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back