In need of some opinions from goldfish keepers!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Natabettas

Reaction score
just yesterday I was given a goldfish from a friend. My friend had gotten the fish when they were 9 and theyā€™re now 17. They say that they just didnā€™t have the time to take care of him anymore. I slowly acclimated him to the new water and temp. He was living in a 5 maybe 10 gallon tank his entire life. And after acclimation I put him in a (cycled) 30 gallon. Itā€™s got a good filter on it and itā€™s got a heater (to keep the temp stable. Itā€™s not high at all just the house gets cold at night so to keep him from getting too chilly). Now. I have 3 other goldfish someone has offered me that they just donā€™t want anymore ( 2 Blackmoor and a fantail). What size tank should I go for if I wanted to put them all together? I only have experience with small tropical fish and bettas so this is a whole new experience for me and I want to make sure these dudes can live out the rest of their time as happy as can be!

A double tailed goldfish rule is 20g for the first and 10g additional for every one after. But tbh a 55g would be best minimum for 3.

Now, if it's a single tail you have, they need 100g for one, and 50g additional for every one after because they're way more active and fast swimmers so need extra space

Get a tank that is 4 foot long or bigger for the goldfish.

Goldfish don't need a heater and are fine inside a house with normal room temperatures. If you want a heater in the tank, set it on about 18-20C and leave it at that.

Goldfish need lots of plant matter in their diet. Duckweed is a small plant that floats on the surface and grows rapidly. It makes an ideal snack for goldfish and can be easily grown in a plastic container outside when the weather is not freezing. You can also grow it indoors in most aquariums.

I agree with @Colin_T. Grab a 4 footer and you won't need a heater if the tank is inside. Lots of plants Valisineria and Ludwigia are always good with goldfish

Thanks guys! I found a nice 75 gallon tank with a filter on facebook! Itā€™s over 4 feet long? I live in Canada and we have no heat over nights and the temps drop... Well below 0. So I just try to keep the heater in for piece of mind. It keeps it just at about 60 F so nothing too crazy. Iā€™ve got lots of duckweed in other tanks so i can put some in there for them to munch on and I have some ludwigia in there too and Iā€™ll have to steal some vals from another tank Iā€™ve got. Got a large terracotta pot in there with the one goldfish I got now and he seems to like it. Should I grab a few more pots for the 75 gallon?

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I found a nice 75 gallon tank with a filter on facebook! Itā€™s over 4 feet long? I live in Canada and we have no heat over nights and the temps drop... Well below 0. So I just try to keep the heater in for piece of mind. It keeps it just at about 60 F so nothing too crazy. Iā€™ve got lots of duckweed in other tanks so i can put some in there for them go much on and I have some ludwigia in there too and Iā€™ll have to steal some vals from another tank Iā€™ve got. Got a large terracotta pot in there with the one goldfish I got now and he seems to like it. Should I grab a few more for the 75 gallon?
Just go with what you have got for now. Maybe another fantail or moor at some stage

Got a large terracotta pot in there with the one goldfish I got now and he seems to like it. Should I grab a few more pots for the 75 gallon?
No. Goldfish don't normally hang out in caves and prefer open water to swim in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back