In home aquarium building service in the UK?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NWC

Reaction score
Hello,

Im looking at large tanks atm. My issue is anything over 6ft is going to be a issue to get into the room i plan to use. Does anyone here know of a company that can build larger tanks on site?

Thank you for any replies in advance.

Last edited:
Hi most of the reputable tank builders to on site builds try ND Aquatics or Aquariums4Life both have good reputations.

How big are you thinking?

Wills

Reactions: NWC
Hi most of the reputable tank builders to on site builds try ND Aquatics or Aquariums4Life both have good reputations.

How big are you thinking?

Wills
Thank you for the reply.

Im looking at 8-10 x 2 x 2 or 6 x 4 x 2, feet. Depending on price i could go bigger. I want to get back into fresh water rays and keep a few large new wirld cichlid species so bigger the better.

ND ive looked at but they only seem to offer a completed tank delivery service. I will look at Aquariums4life now, thank you.

Thank you for the reply.

Im looking at 8-10 x 2 x 2 or 6 x 4 x 2, feet. Depending on price i could go bigger. I want to get back into fresh water rays and keep a few large new wirld cichlid species so bigger the better.

ND ive looked at but they only seem to offer a completed tank delivery service. I will look at Aquariums4life now, thank you.

Nice! If you go for one of the bigger lengths I'd think about doing at least 3 feet wide for the rays most are a 12 inch+ disk so good to give them the width an 8x4x2 would be great IMO - though have to admit never kept them just dreamed lol.

Wills

Nice! If you go for one of the bigger lengths I'd think about doing at least 3 feet wide for the rays most are a 12 inch+ disk so good to give them the width an 8x4x2 would be great IMO - though have to admit never kept them just dreamed lol.

Wills

The Aquariums4life looks perfect, ill call them in the morning.

I totally agree with thr rays. I had some before and couldnt upgrade to wider than a 2 foot so rehomed them. Im hoping the 6 x 4 x 2 (L x W x H) will be something i can built. If not ill just go with cichlids for now and eventually get a pond built whuch is the end goal, not that the missus knows 😅.

Is this going to be built to be put in a basement with solid floors? If for an upper level, I probably don't need to tell you to be sure floor supports are adequate or else beef them up.

I totally agree with thr rays. I had some before and couldnt upgrade to wider than a 2 foot so rehomed them. Im hoping the 6 x 4 x 2 (L x W x H) will be something i can built. If not ill just go with cichlids for now and eventually get a pond built whuch is the end goal, not that the missus knows 😅.

Cool :) glad I could help.

Which cichlids are you thinking Centrals or Souths? Guessing Souths with Rays?

Wills

Wills

I totally agree with thr rays. I had some before and couldnt upgrade to wider than a 2 foot so rehomed them. Im hoping the 6 x 4 x 2 (L x W x H) will be something i can built. If not ill just go with cichlids for now and eventually get a pond built whuch is the end goal, not that ghe missus knows 😅.
Is this going to be built to be put in a basement with solid floors? If for an upper level, I probably don't need to tell you to be sure floor supports are adequate or else beef them up.
Its a 1st floor building but solid conrete floors. Will be more than adequate. I appreciate the warning and concern.

Cool :) glad I could help.

Which cichlids are you thinking Centrals or Souths? Guessing Souths with Rays?

Wills
Id like to sort through a few to end up with pairs. In the past ive get oscars and green terrors. I couldnt have a set up without oscars after keeping them before. Such amazing and smart fish.

Atm the list is:

Green terror
Red terror
Oscars
Pearlscale

All medium to large cichlids that can be aggressive. The plan is to buy them very young, 3-5cm. Start them in the 200l tank, move into a 6 x 2 x 2 feet tank then if they are getting along move the best specimins into the build being duscussed.

Ive already got baby oscars and red terrors in the 200l. The green terrors and pearlscales arrive early the coming week. I reckon 2 months in the 200l tank then move into the 6 foot tank. Another 2 months and the on site build should be completed.

Any fish that do not get along have the 6 foot back up tank to make a home in.

Kind of jumped in head first lol. I forgot how much i enjoyed the hobby and now in a position to have large tanks again im itching to get going.

Id like to sort through a few to end up with pairs. In the past ive get oscars and green terrors. I couldnt have a set up without oscars after keeping them before. Such amazing and smart fish.

Atm the list is:

Green terror
Red terror
Oscars
Pearlscale

All medium to large cichlids that can be aggressive. The plan is to buy them very young, 3-5cm. Start them in the 200l tank, move into a 6 x 2 x 2 feet tank then if they are getting along move the best specimins into the build being duscussed.

Ive already got baby oscars and red terrors in the 200l. The green terrors and pearlscales arrive early the coming week. I reckon 2 months in the 200l tank then move into the 6 foot tank. Another 2 months and the on site build should be completed.

Any fish that do not get along have the 6 foot back up tank to make a home in.

Kind of jumped in head first lol. I forgot how much i enjoyed the hobby and now in a position to have large tanks again im itching to get going.
I have to admit some of those feel a bit too aggressive for me but its a huge tank and you have a back up. I like the big Geophagus like Altifrons with Rays and True Parrots, Green Severums, Uaru, Chocolates would have been the things I was thinking.

Wills

I have to admit some of those feel a bit too aggressive for me but its a huge tank and you have a back up. I like the big Geophagus like Altifrons with Rays and True Parrots, Green Severums, Uaru, Chocolates would have been the things I was thinking.

Wills
They certainly are on paper. I learned from before that to keep aggressive species together you have to start them young and a few of them. There will always be the super agrelssive 1 or 2. The more in the group the less focused they are on each other. As they grow ill get a feel for which species can be kept in the larger tank. Ive found the worst of the aression to be in younger fish. Once they are more established its less. Ill rehome if i have to. Im not about forcing species to coexist. I believe with the right decor and enough space its achiveable. Ill document the journey as i go.

Last edited:
Wow, an interesting project and one I’d like to see.

If you have time and able, a journal about this with pics would be very fascinating as it’s not often we get a member able to get large tanks to keep rays and large fish.

Very best of luck with that!

Wow, an interesting project and one I’d like to see.

If you have time and able, a journal about this with pics would be very fascinating as it’s not often we get a member able to get large tanks to keep rays and large fish.

Very best of luck with that!

Thank you! I've just started a journal. I'm an old-school forum head so look forward to getting to know you all and enjoying the community.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back