The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I went in to get some more pygmy cories and saw a fish I have been wanting for a long time. An Orange Chromide Cichlid! I plan on putting it in my low end brackish tank. Any advice welcome.

Here are some pics!

Attachments

• 20200902_184609.jpg
    20200902_184609.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 20200902_184602.jpg
    20200902_184602.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 185
So cute! What are they like?
I don't know much about behavior other than that they like groups. He was with a buddy, but the other got stuck between the tank and a rock when being netted and died. So I came home with just one.

I know they prefer low end brackish, but can survive in freshwater. They het about 3 to 4 in, I think.

I have been looking for a group of them for most of a year, then this one just shows up at my lfs. I HAD to get him.

I don't know much about behavior other than that they like groups. He was with a buddy, but the other got stuck between the tank and a rock when being netted and died. So I came home with just one.

I know they prefer low end brackish, but can survive in freshwater. They het about 3 to 4 in, I think.

I have been looking for a group of them for most of a year, then this one just shows up at my lfs. I HAD to get him.
That sucks about the other guy:/. Nice sounds like a cool fish. Keep us updated!

I am going to see if my lfs will be able to get more in. I would like a group of 5 or more. If I can get that many, I will get a bigger tank for them. Probably a 40 breeder.

I am going to see if my lfs will be able to get more in. I would like a group of 5 or more. If I can get that many, I will get a bigger tank for them. Probably a 40 breeder.
That would be sick!

I have been doing some reading, brushing up on what I researched before. They max out at about 3 in and prefer groups of at least 5, to help spread aggression. Brackish is preferred but not necessary, and will keep them brighter in color. They are pretty indifferent to specific levels of salinity, since they are uirihailine and can tolerate a very wide range.

I could do a 29 gallon set up for them, I think. This little guy was $9.99, so I might see if I can get ahold of a group to purchase online.

I have been doing some reading, brushing up on what I researched before. They max out at about 3 in and prefer groups of at least 5, to help spread aggression. Brackish is preferred but not necessary, and will keep them brighter in color. They are pretty indifferent to specific levels of salinity, since they are uirihailine and can tolerate a very wide range.

I could do a 29 gallon set up for them, I think. This little guy was $9.99, so I might see if I can get ahold of a group to purchase online.
That would be cool, you could go bigger and maybe get some little puffers?

I am looking forward to see what the little one's personality is. He is my first cichlid, although I will be getting cichlids for my 125 I am setting up.

I still can't believe I found an Orange Chromide, though. A year ago nobody had them. Maybe a breeder recently started selling?

I am looking forward to see what the little one's personality is. He is my first cichlid, although I will be getting cichlids for my 125 I am setting up.

I still can't believe I found an Orange Chromide, though. A year ago nobody had them. Maybe a breeder recently started selling?
Perhaps, haven't seen any around here either. What kind of cichlids are you going to keep?

Perhaps, haven't seen any around here either. What kind of cichlids are you going to keep?
I am thinking a jack dempsey, firemouth cichlids, a pair of pink convicts, and maybe a blue acara. Was going to get a lemon oscar, but oscars produce a lot of waste even for how big they are.

I am thinking a jack dempsey, firemouth cichlids, a pair of pink convicts, and maybe a blue acara. Was going to get a lemon oscar, but oscars produce a lot of waste even for how big they are.
Yea they can be messy. That sounds super nice, love to see a pic when its set up!

Most reactions

Back