Importing African cichlids from lake malawi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aulonocarakriss

Reaction score
Hello guys, i was just wondering if anyone has any experience from importing african cichlids from Africa.
i would like to travel to Africa, lake malawi to collect fish.
Do you need some sort of license for being able to bring fish on the air plane back home?
Thanks in advance.

Every country has its own laws concerning collecting, exporting and importing. They can be very detailed and stringent.

Check Malawi, probably by contacting someone in a Cichlid Association closer to home first to find out how. Finding your way through bureaucracies can be hard. Then make sure you know the laws of your own country for importation.

Like Gary has already mentioned, the regulations differ per country. But what you always need is paperwork.

Check your country laws on importing/bringing in fish from other country.
Some countries are very strict as they are afraid of people bringing in diseases into the country.

For personal collection with small numbers of fish, usually you don't need a license to bring them in.
In my country, we are allowed to bring in up to a certain number of fish.

Also, it's best to join some expedition groups to Lake Malawi rather than going there by yourself.
You can search from googles for any expedition groups.
Some countries will require you to quarantine the fish and declare the fish health before bringing them out of the countries.

Most reactions

Back