Impeller noise

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ry4n7

Reaction score
My fluval 205 canister has become quite loud lately so I ordered a new impeller and it doesn't seem to be any better. However there were a few little nicks out of it when it arrived, would this be the cause?
0a2269238a7f0d47268d194223a54f25.jpg
2d47fef84ddebe46b442bcb6203e6bab.jpg
ef00819a10dfe60d68b346c6492519bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My fluval 205 canister has become quite loud lately so I ordered a new impeller and it doesn't seem to be any better. However there were a few little nicks out of it when it arrived, would this be the cause?
0a2269238a7f0d47268d194223a54f25.jpg
2d47fef84ddebe46b442bcb6203e6bab.jpg
ef00819a10dfe60d68b346c6492519bd.jpg

I put the old 1 back in to send that new 1 back and it was slightly better on reflection. But still pretty loud

Did you get a new impellor shaft and rubber grommets too?
Normally the impellor shaft or rubber grommets wear and allows the impellor to move about more and create the noise.

Check the impellor shaft for any wear. They use to run a stainless steel shaft and it would wear out where the impellor spins but the top and bottom of the shaft remained normal thickness. If the shaft is not even all the way along its length, then get a new shaft.

The impellor shaft should be a tight fit in the rubber grommets. If the grommets are lose and fall off the shaft, they need replacing.

Impellors last for a while and to check them you hold the magnetic base with one hand and gently turn the plastic blades. The blades should only turn part way round. If you can turn the blades all the way round while holding the base, then the impellor is stuffed and needs replacing.

Little nicks in the impellor should not make any difference.

--------------------
Check the o-ring and make sure there is no air leaking into the pump, and make sure there are no restrictions, kinks or blockages I the hoses or fittings.

Did you get a new impellor shaft and rubber grommets too?
Normally the impellor shaft or rubber grommets wear and allows the impellor to move about more and create the noise.

Check the impellor shaft for any wear. They use to run a stainless steel shaft and it would wear out where the impellor spins but the top and bottom of the shaft remained normal thickness. If the shaft is not even all the way along its length, then get a new shaft.

The impellor shaft should be a tight fit in the rubber grommets. If the grommets are lose and fall off the shaft, they need replacing.

Impellors last for a while and to check them you hold the magnetic base with one hand and gently turn the plastic blades. The blades should only turn part way round. If you can turn the blades all the way round while holding the base, then the impellor is stuffed and needs replacing.

Little nicks in the impellor should not make any difference.

--------------------
Check the o-ring and make sure there is no air leaking into the pump, and make sure there are no restrictions, kinks or blockages I the hoses or fittings.
Just the impeller. The guy who sold me the tank give me the filter too so I didn't know all the bits and bobs that go with it I'll take it apart again and bring it over to the shop near me and see what else I need. There's a yellow slider runs along the impeller with the pin that goes through it but I didn't notice any rubber seals or anything

The rubber grommets sometimes stick in the plastic impellor cover (round flat disk that holds the impellor in the motor) and in the bottom of the hole that the impellor sits in. Shine a torch in the hole where the impellor goes and see if there is a rubber grommet in the bottom.

There might be 2 small plastic washers that can slide along the shaft. One washer goes on the top of the impellor and the other goes on the bottom. They stop the impellor from touching the rubber grommets. In the old models it didn't matter too much if you lost the washers, but the newer models might need them. Have a chat to the local pet shop and see if the new filters have 2 washers on the impellor shaft.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back