Imagitarium sand

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jimwg

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had a bare bottom on my 75 gallon for some time. I've never used sand and decided I'd try it when Imagitarium black sand went on sale at Petco. I have to say I really like it, but now instead on doing a weekly larger water change vacuuming the nasties from the bare bottom much of which has collected under decorations I do a 5 gallon bucketful almost every night to suck up the poo of the day from the sand surface since it remains there and can't get underneath anything. I of course can't stick the siphon into the sand as one would do with gravel but I hover a few inches above it as I did with the bare bottom.

I assume you have very large fish that produce significant visible waste?

I assume you have very large fish that produce significant visible waste?
3 boesemani and 2 turquoise rainbow fish, 12 congo tetras and 2 kribensis all aproximately 4". There is a lot of visible waste on the black sand as it is light brown. Holding the siphon end about an inch and half above the sand picks everything up without also picking up the sand.

3 boesemani and 2 turquoise rainbow fish, 12 congo tetras and 2 kribensis all aproximately 4". There is a lot of visible waste on the black sand as it is light brown. Holding the siphon end about an inch and half above the sand picks everything up without also picking up the sand.

I would be inclined to leave at least some of the detritus to work into the sand. The largest and most important bacterial bed is the substrate (glad to hear you no longer have a bare bottom tank) and the aerobic and anaerobic activity occurring in there produces a healthy aquarium. The appearance is an issue, understood; I noticed this when I had black substrate in one tank. I never see stuff now with grey mix play sand.

I would be inclined to leave at least some of the detritus to work into the sand. The largest and most important bacterial bed is the substrate (glad to hear you no longer have a bare bottom tank) and the aerobic and anaerobic activity occurring in there produces a healthy aquarium. The appearance is an issue, understood; I noticed this when I had black substrate in one tank. I never see stuff now with grey mix play sand.
I don't remember asking but thanks for sharing your opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back