FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Slammin’ Aquascaping

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is kind of a silly question, BUT DON’T CLICK OFF OF THIS THREAD!!!!

This is important…

If you breed livebearers, specifically guppies and endlers, how do you breed them?

I’m talking specifically about your method, setup, preferences, etc.
You would know I am very interested in this stuff if you read the other threads I have replied to.

I never did Endlers but did breed guppies many many years ago. To be honest, at least with guppies, if there are both male and female in the tank they WILL breed. LOL! Sometimes I think female guppies are born pregnant.

Ohh I know all about breeding them, I just want to know your methods so I can expand my knowledge and learn more about different ways I can try! Thank you though.

Edit: Fixed careless spelling mistakes

Are you a linebreeder, or not? I keep wild types, and my goal is to stay as true to the natural look as conditions allow. So I breed large groups of healthy fish, and remove unhealthy ones. I don't try to create better looks or develop traits. The fish I received years ago had the look I want to see now.

If I were linebreeding for 'fancy' traits, then I would be keeping records, culling heavily and being the active agent of selection. There, you choose the breeders carefully, etc. I'll leave any answer there to the many expert linebreeders here.

Are you a linebreeder, or not? I keep wild types, and my goal is to stay as true to the natural look as conditions allow. So I breed large groups of healthy fish, and remove unhealthy ones. I don't try to create better looks or develop traits. The fish I received years ago had the look I want to see now.

If I were linebreeding for 'fancy' traits, then I would be keeping records, culling heavily and being the active agent of selection. There, you choose the breeders carefully, etc. I'll leave any answer there to the many expert linebreeders here.
I linebreed fancy guppies, but I will sometimes throw in some outcross breeding too!

When I had guppies out of a stream in Trinidad, I kept 3 tanks and had them selecting their own partners. After 6-7 years, I got more into killies and sold them off in the local clubs. Nice fish though. They showed different patterns from the Colombian wild caughts I kept for 4 generations.

I haven't linebred since I was 12 (and not very good at it at that age), so over to the people who put their energy and knowledge into that side of the hobby. You may have to be patient, as there are people in many time zones here.

Well, I do linebreed but I also do mass breeding and crossbreeding. So, three different disciplines. I do linebreed to enhance or stabilize certain characteristics of a strain. I mass breed wild species (to keep the gene pool diverse). I crossbreed to set up new guppy lines.
If you want to set up a new guppy strain, multiple tanks are in order just like selecting in each generation. This is a way to breed guppies if you have the patience for it. And linebreeding is in order to create a true breeding new strain.

Well, I do linebreed but I also do mass breeding and crossbreeding. So, three different disciplines. I do linebreed to enhance or stabilize certain characteristics of a strain. I mass breed wild species (to keep the gene pool diverse). I crossbreed to set up new guppy lines.
If you want to set up a new guppy strain, multiple tanks are in order just like selecting in each generation. This is a way to breed guppies if you have the patience for it. And linebreeding is in order to create a true breeding new strain.
Ooh, I have a few questions.

How big is your mass breeding tank?
Also what is crossbreeding? Is it similar/the same as outcross breeding? Please explain how!

There are actually no silly questions...
How big is your mass breeding tank?
Mass production means let them breed without any selection. So, keep all fry of each generation to let them grow up. I use PE tubs and 80 liter tanks to let them grow out.
Also what is crossbreeding? Is it similar/the same as outcross breeding? Please explain how!
Crossbreeding is the same as outcross breeding but with a purpose. The only crossbreeding without any purpose are the mutt tanks at my place.
To me, crossbreeding with a purpose means that it's a new breeding project.

Try to take a peek on my own website:

My website is about livebearers. It's not commercial but an informative one. There's also a readable section about guppy genetics.

This is important…

If you breed livebearers, specifically guppies and endlers, how do you breed them?

I’m talking specifically about your method, setup, preferences, etc.
You would know I am very interested in this stuff if you read the other threads I have replied to.
I keep 3 strains separate to get nice progeny. Keep males and females separate until females have spawned, then put my favorite breeder in with the best of the best females and start again.
I currently have 3 strains I like. All the unwanted guppies go into a mutt tank and I will transfer them to a tub outside when weather is good as they will multiply.
I select the best fish as they mature and keep them in 10 gallon tanks single sex and keep the process going. When I have enough of the adults ready, I call my lfs and he buys them. I only give him the best. Since it is a hobby, I don’t mail out or do eBay or any of the online sales. I just enjoy helping these little guys continue to propagate.
My wild type females are put in the mix to keep the strains healthy and not so recessive, and that seems to help. Have gotten some beauties- they are so gorgeous and healthy.
I feed fry BBs and adults a varied diet of once a week bloodworm, repashy, flakes, and frozen cubes.
Keep water changes up- about w 2 weeks.
Hope that helps. You end up with a lot of mutts, but they are super healthy!!! Fastest swimmers, hardest to catch. Mutts are the best.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back