I'm thinking of getting a 50-55 gallon tank. I would love any advice!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Alis

Reaction score
Hello, as the title explains, I am thinking of getting a 50-55 gallon tank! I want to find out the overall cost for everything, and what I need. I currently have a sad looking 10 gallon with a koi betta, a nerite snail (did I spell it right??), a java loach, and two chilli rasboras. Okay, yeah... that's why it's so sad. I know that the rasboras should be in a school of at least five... which there used to be. And that java and kuhli loaches should also have much bigger tanks. The betta is very friendly and has never touched any of his tankmates. The tank is filtered and heater...

Anyway, I want to get a bigger tank to move these guys into and because I've heard that in the bigger tanks, the water is more stable. I am also planning on getting some more fish for the bigger tank, such as around two kuhli loaches (so I want a sand substrate) and some other types of schooling fish. All advice is appreciated!!!

Do it. For sure (if you can lol). 55 gallons are one of my favorite tank sizes, they allow for a nice large hardscape and room to provide specific things to specific fish. Do your fish line up with your water parameters? Good choice on the rasboras, I always advise against tank mates with betta, but rasboras are 100% better than tetras, because they will not nip at the fins of your betta. I would increase the numbers of your shoaling fish to 12ish. I would stick to the shoals you have and increase them. You may have space, but it is best to fill out your current shoals first. Oh yea and

Welcome :hi:

Yes, get the bigger tank - but keep the betta in the 10 gallon :)

Before we can suggest fish we need to know the hardness of your water. Look on your water provider's website - you need a number and the unit of measurement (there are several they could use). We should aim to keep fish which originate in water with similar hardness to our tap water.

Thank you! Like I said, the betta is really friendly, he never bothers the two tiny chili rasboras. I think that I will try him out in the big tank... if I get one. If he starts getting nippy, I'll put him back in the ten gallon. I just tested the water today:

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

I've been getting suspicious of whether the results are correct, though. I haven't done a water change in like a month, but still... that's what it reads. I heard that having 0 nitrates happen if the tank has lots of plants. My tank has a couple struggling java ferns (which I just noticed, are finally attaching to the driftwood! The plant was sold out of the water, so I think it's just now gotten used to being fully submerged. (Although the only parts that are alive, are the babies that the original plant made.) Okay, now I'm very off topic) Anyway, I'm suspicious about those results.

It may be a while before I get (if I get) a 55 gallon... some time in November. I'm not sure what the ph of our tap water is. It might be different. The decorations in the ten gallon may have changed it.

Here is a picture... yes, it is a very sad tank:
20200916_200316.jpg

Thank you! Like I said, the betta is really friendly, he never bothers the two tiny chili rasboras. I think that I will try him out in the big tank... if I get one. If he starts getting nippy, I'll put him back in the ten gallon. I just tested the water today:

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

I've been getting suspicious of whether the results are correct, though. I haven't done a water change in like a month, but still... that's what it reads. I heard that having 0 nitrates happen if the tank has lots of plants. My tank has a couple struggling java ferns (which I just noticed, are finally attaching to the driftwood! The plant was sold out of the water, so I think it's just now gotten used to being fully submerged. (Although the only parts that are alive, are the babies that the original plant made.) Okay, now I'm very off topic) Anyway, I'm suspicious about those results.

It may be a while before I get (if I get) a 55 gallon... some time in November. I'm not sure what the ph of our tap water is. It might be different. The decorations in the ten gallon may have changed it.

Here is a picture... yes, it is a very sad tank:
View attachment 116626
Plants will eat nitrates and two little java ferns aren't going to eat enough to give you a zero reading. Java ferns aren't heavy feeders, more likely is the readings are off as it's not normal to have zero nitrates.
I have a ton of fast growing plants it's a jungle and very few fish and still get minimal nitrate readings.

Having said that get your GH (general hardness) GH will have a bigger effect on fish than PH and KH once you get your GH we'll have a better idea of what fish to recommend.

A 55 gallon tank is a great size, big enough to do a lot with but not so big it takes over a room. Check with you local water provider to find your GH and PH. They usually have it listed on their web page. Looking at a hard water map of New Mexico show much of the state is very hard to hard water with two small areas where it is moderately hard.

Plants will eat nitrates and two little java ferns aren't going to eat enough to give you a zero reading. Java ferns aren't heavy feeders, more likely is the readings are off as it's not normal to have zero nitrates.
I have a ton of fast growing plants it's a jungle and very few fish and still get minimal nitrate readings.

Having said that get your GH (general hardness) GH will have a bigger effect on fish than PH and KH once you get your GH we'll have a better idea of what fish to recommend.
Thank you. I don't have any way to test for GH or KH. My water is well water, though, so is probably pretty hard...

Maybe I should just try to buy a new set of testing supplies, because it doesn't seem to be accurate...

So that you know just how hard, you could take some tap water to an LFS and ask them to test for GH and KH. Make sure they give you a number.

So that you know just how hard, you could take some tap water to an LFS and ask them to test for GH and KH. Make sure they give you a number.
Yes, good idea. Maybe get them to test the other things too, before I get a whole new API testing kit. Do you know if Petco or Petsmart do it? Those are the closest...

Yes, good idea. Maybe get them to test the other things too, before I get a whole new API testing kit. Do you know if Petco or Petsmart do it? Those are the closest...
Petsmart for sure does.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back