I'm Stupid and the Pictus Suffered

JassyR

Reaction score
My beloved pictus was changed tanks today. He was in a 20 gal before and now he is in a 55 gal. The problem is I was switching the fish using a net to put them in a cup to put in the water and I was adding just a little bit of the new water in every 5 min. Well, the net got stuck to one of his fins.... And I tried my best to get it off, but I ended up having to cut the net.To say the least, he is probably traumatized and has a bit of his soft fin has been torn. On top of it, he jumped in to the water so I didn't get to acclimate him. I got the best picture I could.

Attachments

• 20210416_114806.jpg
    20210416_114806.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 54
oh no. is that green stuff the net? maybe salt but i do not know about these catfihs

Dim the lights, make sure he's in fresh clean water, should heal up OK

i dont know, is he swimming?
Kind of? I mean, he is in a brand new tank. He was exploring and swimming around, and I moved his cave from the previous tank in there in case he wanted to hide, but he seems to like laying next to the sponge filter better..

Kind of? I mean, he is in a brand new tank. He was exploring and swimming around, and I moved his cave from the previous tank in there in case he wanted to hide, but he seems to like laying next to the sponge filter better..
oh... i think you should try and be gentle with him and take it off

oh... i think you should try and be gentle with him and take it off
That's the problem. Before I cut the net, he was being very calm, so I tried. But it was not coming off and I was pulling as hard as I felt comfortable pulling on a little fish.

Should fall off on it's own, leave him be for now

It happens all the time with pictus catfish. We used the white fine mesh fish nets when we dealt with them in the shop.

The green netting won't come off by itself. You can leave it for 24 hours and hope it does, but if it's still there tomorrow, catch the fish and use a pair of scissors to remove the net.

Pictus catfish are fine with a bit of salt so if you need to add some, you can add 1-2 heaped tablespoons of salt for every 20 litres of water. But see how it goes, it should be fine.

It happens all the time with pictus catfish. We used the white fine mesh fish nets when we dealt with them in the shop.

The green netting won't come off by itself. You can leave it for 24 hours and hope it does, but if it's still there tomorrow, catch the fish and use a pair of scissors to remove the net.

Pictus catfish are fine with a bit of salt so if you need to add some, you can add 1-2 heaped tablespoons of salt for every 20 litres of water. But see how it goes, it should be fine.
ah ok

Most reactions

trending

Back