I'm So Happy With My First Attempt

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jen_S

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought I would post pics of my planted tank.
46 gal (u.s.) bowfront tank. All plants are fast easy growers.
Filtration: Fluval 203 canister filtered with peat and a Marineland 170 on the back. Heated but I'm not sure what size though it is the recommended size. Tank has been running for only 2 months or so but is doing great.
Substrate is 2-3 mm white gravel.

Fish and invertibrates:
6 red serpae tetras
4 Diamond tetras
1 farlowella catfish
3 peppered cories
5 otos
1 juvenile angelfish
2 (m/f) Bolivian rams
3 flying fox (would not have purchased if I know more about them)
1 gold apple snail growing like mad
1 rubber pleco
2 Bamboo shrimp

Plants:
Hygorphilia difformis
water sprite
cambomba
moneywort
red ludwigia
purple waffle (until it dies as it is a marsh plant)
red tiger lotus
amazon swords
java moss
a couple of grass plants

overall tank

Right

Center

Left

I don't use a co2 system at this point and use tetras Flora Pride once a week or when water is changed. I plan to eventually use a root fertilizer.

Congratulations! Why don't you put your tank into the members' section for others to enjoy too? Maybe you could use a little bit more light when you are taking your pictures. It is now difficult to see all the details it has.

bad camera, sorry. I don't have a plant buld yet. Hopefully that will help. The tank is not superbright with the bulb it came with. I wait tile night to take the pics because there is a window that reflects on the tank front. Hopefully for Christmas I might get a good camera...we'll see.

Thanks :) I'm pleased with the results. I bought a plant light today instead of using the stock one. It's a 30 watt Flora-Sun bulb. I am now realizing that I am at a disadvantage. The tank came with the hood and it has only one light socket so I'm not even running at 1 watt per gallon. I'm also thinking that my tank is somewhat darker as I am filtering with peat moss. I personally like it but hope that the plants continue to do well. I found Russian moss balls at my lfs store bought one and split it but most is going in my other planted tanks (10 gal guppy/shrimp tank and 14 gal Biocube with "real" lighting LOL). I think the lighting is just that much better in those tanks.
I will have to wait to get a light strip that has room for 2 bulbs in it. I priced and they run about $150. I want to set up a co2 system at some point as well.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back