Im Sick Of Guppy Inbreeding! Anyone Else

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Inbreeding, and cross breeding is not a bad thing, if done correctly, you have seen the platys with high fins, you have seen swordtails with double swords and many other different types like the koi swordtails.
Cross breeding platys and swordtails can get many stunning types.
Mollies and guppies will also cross breed.
As will endlers and guppies.

Problems occur when people breed very weak strains and then continue to breed the weaker strains off them etc.
Serious breeders more tend to breed in a way that they can make the strain stronger and can also manipulate the breeding to get specific colours and types.
Im not massively in to the genetics of it all so cant go to deep in to as I would be talking about something I knew nothing about.

+

Jay0173 said:
Aye, it is possible to do it with no I'll effects, but what positive effects? Prettier colors? Longer fins?
It's like a person having a giant multicolored butt. Hard to walk with and looks unsightly. :p

Pretty much all the pets we keep have been inbred at some point to accentuate a particular feature. Take pugs for instance. Their snouts were once elongated like any other dog out there, but over time, breeders caught on that people were liking dogs with shorter snouts, so they purposefully bred the dogs to grow shorter and shorter snouts, often within a family line, until we have what we have now. Unfortunately, a side-effect of all this selective breeding was an entire species that has respiratory problems. This is what I would define as irresponsible breeding.

Commercial breeders are often breeding stock that is in demand, and the sad fact is we humans are very selfish when it comes to having what we like. If we demand guppies with longer fins, that's exactly what the breeders will produce because that's what the people want and will make the breeders money.

We have to stop being selfish. It's as simple as that. Instead of trying to improve a species we should appreciate it for how nature designed it. I think this is one of the main reason why people are moving back more and more to wild strains of livebearers rather than the domestic strains. If enough demand for wild strains exists, breeders will accommodate us. But that message has to be sent to the breeders, otherwise we'll continue down the road of irresponsible breeding until eventually the species will become so weak that there will be no interest for them at all and the species will disappear.
This one I agree with. Well written jay! :clap:

agreed 
yes.gif

ncguppy830 said:
I'm beginning to wonder whether you know what your talking about or you just agree with me cos I'm the smartest here. JK :p

It's down to personal taste at the end of the day. Some like their fish more natural looking and some like inbred/ selectively bred fish. Some even like genetically modified fish :sick: .

i think its wrong to breed in flowin g fins its just unatural and wrong
BTW of course your the smartest here TT jk

TallTree01 said:

I'm beginning to wonder whether you know what your talking about or you just agree with me cos I'm the smartest here. JK
tongue2.gif

It's down to personal taste at the end of the day. Some like their fish more natural looking and some like inbred/ selectively bred fish. Some even like genetically modified fish
sick.gif

Well I for one could do without genetically modified corn. I mean, what the heck was wrong with the corn we used to enjoy? I think it actually tasted better than this new and "improved" strain. Some people just can't be satisfied to leave well enough alone. The gall of them to think they know better than nature how a particular species is supposed to be. No thanks. I like my non-genetically "enhanced" corn and similarly I like my non-genetically tinkered with tropical fish. Sadly, unless I go out to catch my own, these specimens are increasingly difficult to find.

ncguppy830 said:
i think its wrong to breed in flowin g fins its just unatural and wrong

But that's just it, it's neither right or wrong to breed any particular strain, long fin or short fin. Breeders simply are catering to what is in demand. It's not the breeder's fault people want long flowing fins. They're in business to make money and what's making them money is long finned guppies. In order to change this, you must first reduce the demand for this type of fish.

Irrelevant post:

They're trying to make meat..... In a lab. It cost about 323000$ to make and was made of eggs flour cow stem cells and a bunch of other sciencey stuff.

well i think all the ranting is done, looks like im buying wild guppies from here on out some look pretty good though.

ncguppy830 said:
well i think all the ranting is done, looks like im buying wild guppies from here on out some look pretty good though.

I'm colour blind. I can't see half the colour strains some breeders produce anyway. LOL.

Good for you on choosing to stock wild strain guppies. Would love to see how things turn out for you.

yea im looking for some good online sources havent seen any one.

Jay0173 said:

I'm colour blind. I can't see half the colour strains some breeders produce anyway. LOL.

Good for you on choosing to stock wild strain guppies. Would love to see how things turn out for you.

thanks yea hope it goes good too, maybe i can get some nice endlers out of this.

Most reactions

trending

Back