Im Sick Of Guppy Inbreeding! Anyone Else

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

but dont you think breeding in long fins is inhumane it makes it harder for them to swim also how is inbreeding the key to moving forward genetic diversity is needed to create a healthy population and genes.

fish48 said:
Inbreeding  guppies as always been the way forward and like it or not it's here to stay.[/size]
you can do as many others have Chosen to do and stop keeping guppies.[/size]
or do as I have done and learn  how to keep and inbreed guppies with out any Genetic problems[/size]
 you and many others need to understand when you see poor quality guppies in your lfs[/size]
it is not always because of inbreeding  inbreeding/Genetics is not a problem when you know what you are doing[/size]
never give up on breeding  guppies you need to start of with good quality fish and there are plenty of shops that still sale good [/size]
quality guppies from there onwards they can be inbreed  for many years with out adding new blood,[/size]

I disagree. That is all. :p

TallTree01 said:

Inbreeding  guppies as always been the way forward and like it or not it's here to stay.[/size]
or do as I have done and learn  how to keep and inbreed guppies with out any Genetic problems[/size]
 you and many others need to understand when you see poor quality guppies in your lfs[/size]
it is not always because of inbreeding  inbreeding/Genetics is not a problem when you know what you are doing[/size]
never give up on breeding  guppies you need to start of with good quality fish and there are plenty of shops that still sale good [/size]
quality guppies from there onwards they can be inbreed  for many years with out adding new blood,[/size]

I disagree. That is all.
tongue2.gif

haha

TallTree01 said:

I disagree. That is all.
tongue2.gif

grow up mate you are very silly,  you are disagreeing with something you no Nothing about,  

how do you know he know nothing about the topic yea he might have been a little childish but so what you havent a right to make any asumptions he didnt do anything to you.

ncguppy830 said:
but dont you think breeding in long fins is inhumane it makes it harder for them to swim also how is inbreeding the key to moving forward genetic diversity is needed to create a healthy population and genes.

ncguppy830 said:

ncguppy830 said:
yes I agree and for that reason I don't keep long fin  guppy's we can all  create a healthy population and genes. I keep many populations and have no probs- with inbreeding them

i just dont understand the advantages of inbreeding wouldnt that makes them weaker im mean weve seen this in many species its effects and i just dont understand.

The thing is with lfs is they are out to make money and don't really care too much about their fish, im not saying all are like this but the majority are.
I tunred my head from guppies from lfs and started to get guppies from shows, I purchased some panda guppies and they was the best guppies I had ever had, I bred them and only sold to people I either knew, or people who answered anything I asked them with what I felt was the correct answers, my lfs was constantly bombarding me texts to sell to him but there was now ay I was going to let him mess up the pureness of them.

fact is, guppies mass bred are literally thrown in to puddles of dirt in some countries and they multiply at a crazy rate and things just get out of hand and this is why we have so many weak strains around
Endlers also have had their strain weakened, you will probably never come across a pure endler in a lfs and even if you do, someone will be taking it home knowing nothing about it and it will end up the same as most and be put with guppies.

As said, private breeders is the way forward, or going to shows, you may pay extra at the shows, but by god you get the quality.

right i agree with that and i do think that going to b reeders and thw works would have better quality im just wondering whats good about inbreeding.

ncguppy830 said:
right i agree with that and i do think that going to b reeders and thw works would have better quality im just wondering whats good about inbreeding.
Inbreeding is a way of 'fixing' the traits you want, whether that's fin shape, colour, whatever.

The problem is not inbreeding per se, it's indiscriminate breeding, without due care and not ensuring that the breeding stock is of the best quality.

*puts on mod hat*

Can also I remind all members to be polite and not descend into personal attacks; discuss the topic, not the poster, thank you.

*takes off mod hat*

ok i agree so could this be like breeding ballon mollies with a black molly?

I am in agreement, inbreeding in of itself is not the problem. It's irresponsible breeding. I also tend not to look at LFS guppies because I know the strains they keep are generally so irresponsibly bred that the likelihood of coming home with a strong strain is very rare. Instead I look to local breeders who I know take care when they breed to make sure they breed the best possible specimens. It's to the point these days where LFS bought guppies are pretty much feeder fish now. Very sad.

Aye, it is possible to do it with no ill effects, but what positive effects? Prettier colors? Longer fins?
It's like a person having a giant multicolored butt. Hard to walk with and looks unsightly. :p

TallTree01 said:
Aye, it is possible to do it with no I'll effects, but what positive effects? Prettier colors? Longer fins?
It's like a person having a giant multicolored butt. Hard to walk with and looks unsightly.
tongue2.gif

Pretty much all the pets we keep have been inbred at some point to accentuate a particular feature. Take pugs for instance. Their snouts were once elongated like any other dog out there, but over time, breeders caught on that people were liking dogs with shorter snouts, so they purposefully bred the dogs to grow shorter and shorter snouts, often within a family line, until we have what we have now. Unfortunately, a side-effect of all this selective breeding was an entire species that has respiratory problems. This is what I would define as irresponsible breeding.

Commercial breeders are often breeding stock that is in demand, and the sad fact is we humans are very selfish when it comes to having what we like. If we demand guppies with longer fins, that's exactly what the breeders will produce because that's what the people want and will make the breeders money.

We have to stop being selfish. It's as simple as that. Instead of trying to improve a species we should appreciate it for how nature designed it. I think this is one of the main reason why people are moving back more and more to wild strains of livebearers rather than the domestic strains. If enough demand for wild strains exists, breeders will accommodate us. But that message has to be sent to the breeders, otherwise we'll continue down the road of irresponsible breeding until eventually the species will become so weak that there will be no interest for them at all and the species will disappear.

Most reactions

trending

Back