I'm new to fishkeeping... Can I have some help?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

quaintrelle

Reaction score
So I was planning on getting a 10 gal-- I've done some research but I want to verify with other fishkeepers before I buy. Could I get a 10 gal and fill it with a peppered cory, a panda cory, 2 ghost shrimp, 4 guppies, and 5 CPDs? If not, what should I put in there? If there's enough room, could I put a female betta? What should I feed them? I know CPDs are picky eaters. Also, does anyone recommend any specific supplies (heater, filter, tank kit, etc)? Thanks 😄

First off, welcome to TFF.

Now, a 10g is a quite small tank for fish, and you have listed some fish that need more of the species which would not have sufficient space. I'll explain momentarily, but if you stay with a 10g, and depending upon the water parameters, a single male Betta would be OK, or a couple groups of small-sized fish that we term nano fish. Water parameters refers to the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity), pH and temperature, and here we are thinking of your source (tap) water on its own. Each species of fish has a specific type of water in which it will function normally, meaning better health. The smaller the fish, the less "adaptability" to different parameters. Some species are fairly tolerant, some not at all, when it comes to parameters. Temperature you can obviously control with a heater in the tank, but the GH/KH/pH will be what comes out of the tap, so checking with your water authority (website) for this dat is important.

To the fish species mentioned. Some fish are shoaling or schooling, meaning they live in large groups of their own species, and this requirement which is programmed into their DNA has to be provided for; numbers can vary, but there should be several and the more the better. Tank size comes into this obviously. Fish that are more active swimmers also need more space, compared to more sedate fish. Shoaling fish include the Corydoras catfish, along with most all tetras, rasboras, and several other groups. Going back to the "nano" fish/tank, there is the pygmy cory which would b fine in a 10g, in a group of say 10-12. Cories need a soft sand substrate, not gravel, so that needs to be kept in mind.

The CPD has special requirements, described here:

Once we know the water parameters, we can narrow down the suitable fish. If you can move up to a larger tank, say a 20g (basic 24 inches in length) or a 20g long (30 inches in length), your options increase considerably. A heater and filter are standard, and a tank light.

Well.... no.
10 gallon is for 1 Betta and shrimps, or 1 pair of Killis.
Moreover, Corydoras are schooling fishes that need to live together in group of 6 minimum.

Welcome to the forum :) some great advice here sure you're going to get off to a great start :)

Wills

Aaaaa everyone here is so nice thank you guys for the tips ;v; we ended up going to our local Petland today and they told us all the fish would fit.... I'm so confused hahaha, so I'm probably gonna just get a bigger tank, most likely a 20g long. We have softer water. We also have a pool so I will most likely test the pH strips we have with our tap. If it's too acidic, is there any conditioner that will make it a bit more basic for the fish? Also I have thought about pea puffers, those things are too dang cute ;;

@quaintrelle you should test your water, just to be sure.
Il you use strip, proceed this way :
BANDELETTE E.jpg

Aaaaa everyone here is so nice thank you guys for the tips ;v; we ended up going to our local Petland today and they told us all the fish would fit.... I'm so confused hahaha, so I'm probably gonna just get a bigger tank, most likely a 20g long. We have softer water. We also have a pool so I will most likely test the pH strips we have with our tap. If it's too acidic, is there any conditioner that will make it a bit more basic for the fish? Also I have thought about pea puffers, those things are too dang cute ;;

You've discovered an important truth here...staff in fish stores, especially chain stores, rarely if ever know much about fish. They sell fish, the fish die and customers come back for more, and they sell more fish or chemical additives that cause more trouble.

Adjusting water parameters is not easy, and it can cause serious problems for fish; you would need to prepare the water outside the aquarium, but without knowing the actual numbers we are just guessing. We need to pin down your GH and pH, and then suggest fish suited to living in such water and in numbers that the tank will support biologically.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back