I'm half-thinking of getting a bristle nose pleco . . .

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LostBear

Fish Addict
Reaction score
As I understand that they rarely grow to more than 4 inches. (We had a common one some years ago - it was a monster and put me off them for four decades).

How much can I expect to pay for one, and would one be suitable to share a 64 litre tank with 10 neons, 5 glowlights and two Nerite snails? Do they need similar water conditions to the tetras?

Our other plec, as I said, outgrew a 4 foot tank, and I'm sure was devouring everything that came within reach - damn thing was HUGE. Even 4" is pretty big compared to my tetras, so would I need to worry about anyone getting eaten?

Thanks

Yes, they rarely grow larger than 4”. I have had mine for a little under a year, and it’s 3.5” right now.

I keep mine with neon tetras, Panda Corys, and shrimp, and he doesn’t bother any of them.

They do like to dig in the sand and rearrange your plants/small decor, so you need to prepare for that, lol.

People think plecos will actually eat small fish, but they never have/do. They will only eat a dead fish, after it sinks to the bottom.

Dont cost alot at all. My BN pleco was under £10. They wont bother your other fish but will bulldozer around your tank and uproot things like pheonixking as mentioned.

I personally wouldnt have a BNP in anything under 90 litres but thats just my opinion.

Id go for some dwarf corydoras instead ;)

Last edited:
Bristlenose should average out at 4 to 5 inches, though I have seen some even bigger. They certainly don't bother fish, but mine don't move around my decor/plnats. I would agree with @Russjw on the tank size.

Dont cost alot at all. My BN pleco was under £10.

I personally wouldnt have a BNP in anything under 90 litres but thats just my opinion.

Id go for some dwarf corydoras instead ;)
Oh, I didn’t realize it was only 16g. I wouldn’t keep a BNP in anything smaller than a 29g tank. They like to have height, so they can get algae off the glass.

My male Albino BNP was around $15, very well priced for such a beauty. :wub:
9FC76FF7-EB05-4442-9FD6-906B65B6BE44.jpeg

(I got him when he was less than an inch long)

I think it dependa on the species that you keep.
Most Plecos grow to very large.
Zebra Pleco will grow up to 3"-4". I think they are the smallest Pleco and very beautiful but very expensive.
I am keeping a Starlight Pleco. Its very beautiful with white dots on its body and blue tip on its tail.
According to the fish storekeeper, it wont grow very large. But I am not sure how true. Anyway, I have big tank in case it grows big.

I think it dependa on the species that you keep.
Most Plecos grow to very large.
Zebra Pleco will grow up to 3"-4". I think they are the smallest Pleco and very beautiful but very expensive.
I am keeping a Starlight Pleco. Its very beautiful with white dots on its body and blue tip on its tail.
According to the fish storekeeper, it wont grow very large. But I am not sure how true. Anyway, I have big tank in case it grows big.
There are species that tend to be smaller. L471, pitbull pleco, Colombian zebra plecos are a few.

Starlights should average 4-5 inches as well

I have two. One of mine is about 4.5 inches and the other is 6. I was pretty surprised when I found out most don’t get that big, mine sure did. I wouldn’t keep a bn in a 16 gallon tank. I see you already have nerite snails- they should be eating the algae. The bn would be competing with them for algae, which isn’t the BN’s main diet but they do eat it if they can. If the bn were to eat the algae then the nerite snails may starve.

I have two. One of mine is about 4.5 inches and the other is 6. I was pretty surprised when I found out most don’t get that big, mine sure did. I wouldn’t keep a bn in a 16 gallon tank. I see you already have nerite snails- they should be eating the algae. The bn would be competing with them for algae, which isn’t the BN’s main diet but they do eat it if they can. If the bn were to eat the algae then the nerite snails may starve.
I have Nerite, MTS, and BRH snails in my 29g tank, along with shrimp and the BNP pleco.

Algae shouldn’t be the plecos main source of food - they should have some sort of veggie and obviously driftwood.

None of my snails have ever starved, because I feed them all well. It all depends on how you feed them and what.

Wouldn't go smaller than 30 gallons (113.5 litres) for them. They have high bioloads so will overwhelm smaller spaces.

As for price, I paid $5 CAD for my boy! But I got him from a local breeder at 2" body size, hes grown up to 3 inches now. Still growing! But no they don't get huge. Nice size plecos and full of personality. If I were to buy one in store, I'd be looking at $13 CAD for whatever size they have, include fry!
20200817_235719.jpg

I have Nerite, MTS, and BRH snails in my 29g tank, along with shrimp and the BNP pleco.

Algae shouldn’t be the plecos main source of food - they should have some sort of veggie and obviously driftwood.

None of my snails have ever starved, because I feed them all well. It all depends on how you feed them and what.
I was referring to the plecos snacking on the algae before the nerites got enough- in a tank that size there may not be enough food for the nerites . I feed my plecos veggies and of course, I have wood in my tank . None of my plecos ever have to eat just algae, I’m just referring to the fact that the nerite snails may not get enough :)

Wow!

Lots of very helpful answers- thank you all!

I think I got my answer with the advice regarding tank size from Russ and Bub. I'll wait until I get a larger tank - I don't want to impact the well-being of the pleco, or of the other fish by keeping one in an uncomfortably small environment. If they are poo machines, as Squidneh suggests, I don't want all the other fish going round holding their noses, so thank you for that useful warning.

"My male Albino BNP was around $15, very well priced for such a beauty"

Have to admit Phoenix, I rather fell in love with yours when I saw his picture, which was what got me thinking about one. (I especially liked his googly eyes)

Lajos and jkkgron - yes - I've had An Experience with a common pleco which the pet shop promised me (swore on a stack of Bibles, IIRC) wouldn't "get much bigger" and did. It outgrew a 4foot tank, and I swore "never again", then I learned about the sweet little BNP and wavered. I know also that plecos are supposed to be peaceful fish etc etc etc <eye roll> but we had a lot disappear when we had our "Lampton Worm" and he had to be scoffing them, even if he was just sucking them up by accident because he was so blimmin' HUGE

Thank you everyone who has been kind enough to comment (or even to read) - much appreciated. It seems I'll have to wait until I can invest in a larger tank.

Last edited:
Have to admit Phoenix, I rather fell in love with yours when I saw his picture, which was what got me thinking about one. (I especially liked his googly eyes)
My disease is contagious... :shifty: (MTS)

I was referring to the plecos snacking on the algae before the nerites got enough- in a tank that size there may not be enough food for the nerites . I feed my plecos veggies and of course, I have wood in my tank . None of my plecos ever have to eat just algae, I’m just referring to the fact that the nerite snails may not get enough :)
I guess I’m still confused as to what you’re saying?

You need to feed your Nerite snails separately, or somewhere that the pleco can’t get to the food. I have a special spot in my tank that I put the pellets for my nerite. She will go there when she is hungry, she has learned to. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back