I'm Full Of Questions Today.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ManyFISH4Me

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a Turq/Copper Male. I was told that he carries dt. It appears that his tail is actually fused. I didn't think this exised until I came across a blurb on a genitics page. Now I am wondering how this fused tail plays out in breeding. Anyone ever breed a fused tail, with a DT? I wanted to know if the genitics of the fused tail acted like a STdt, (Giving 50% DT Spawn), or like a DT, (giving 100% DT Spawn)
THANKS

if the fish with the fused tail has dt geno and the fish u plan breeding him with also has dt geno, a good sized portion of ur spawn will be dt's and the rest will carry the dt geno but not display clear sighns of the feature. im not possitive on this so correct me if im wrong, but i think the dt gene is ressesive.

You're right GuppyDude, DT is recessive...
What do you mean by fused tail, ManyFISH4Me? Do you mean that the tail is fused to the anal fin? I've seen this before, but I don't know anything about the genetics of it...

The tail looks like it was soposed to be 2. There is what looks like a seam (?) down the middle, and the very tip has the split. I was told he carries dt. I was wondering if since it looks like he was soposed to have 2 tails, and they never fully divided. Does that meen he would breed like a DT?

my delta tail had that when i first got him from the fish store, his little cup o death just said DT, so i didn't know it it was a delta or a interesting double tail.

But it's gone now so it could just be from water conditions maybe?

ManyFISH4Me said:
The tail looks like it was soposed to be 2. There is what looks like a seam (?) down the middle, and the very tip has the split. I was told he carries dt. I was wondering if since it looks like he was soposed to have 2 tails, and they never fully divided. Does that meen he would breed like a DT?
If you were told he carries DT, then he's probably only half DT and the gene is just being expressed that way... but he might also be a fused DT :dunno:
If he's a fused DT he will breed like a DT... meaning that you probably wouldn't want to try breeding him with another DT because a DT + DT combo usually produces a lot of weak and deformed fry. Breeding him with another half DT will give you the answer as to whether he's really a fused DT or not; if 25% of the fry are DT then he's just half DT, if 50% are DT he's fused. I tried to find some info about fused tails but apparently little is know about the genetics of it as of yet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back