I'm about to buy some food for my Discus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bug bites vege for the Discus?

Yes. The standard Bug Bites Tropical Fish Formula is what I used as the primary food for all my fish, upper swimmers and cories and loaches. It comes in three (I think) sized bits, I had the micro for the smaller (pygmy cories and other) fish and the medium for the larger cories and fish. There is also the bottom feeder formula. I did not bother with the colour enhancing.

So, this is what I bought in the end, the plants are because Discus like plants, and my wife approved me buying food
Fish Science Fish Treats with Algae × 1
50g
$18.39
Sera Discus Gran × 1
112g
$22.39
Crypt balansae × 1
3 Pots
$35.98
Aponogeton Undalatus × 2
Bare Rooted
$35.18

Subtotal
$111.94
Shipping
$0.00
Taxes
$14.60

Total
$111.94 NZD

Make sure the Aponogetons get lots of fertiliser (root tabs or clay or both) otherwise they use up the nutrients in the bulb and die a few months later.

Make sure the Aponogetons get lots of fertiliser (root tabs or clay or both) otherwise they use up the nutrients in the bulb and die a few months later.
I have had Aponogetons before and always had them in pots, sort of like the water lily thing but in miniature.

I have had Aponogetons before and always had them in pots, sort of like the water lily thing but in miniature.
That's one of the best way to keep them. I used plastic icecream buckets but pots also work. You can load the pots up with fertiliser and when the plants go dormant, you simply lift the container out with the bulb in it.

So, this is what I bought in the end, the plants are because Discus like plants, and my wife approved me buying food
Fish Science Fish Treats with Algae × 1
50g
$18.39
Sera Discus Gran × 1
112g
$22.39
Crypt balansae × 1
3 Pots
$35.98
Aponogeton Undalatus × 2
Bare Rooted
$35.18

Subtotal
$111.94
Shipping
$0.00
Taxes
$14.60

Total
$111.94 NZD
Ouch! That's some damn expensive fish food. I feed my Discus, Cardinals, Corydoras a mixture of four different brands of slow sinking granules. The most expensive of the bunch is around $7 for 93g. I'm new to the forum, so that's U.S. dollars. Is this forum based in Australia?

I also feed freeze dried tubifex (pre-soaked) and algae wafers occasionally. I used to mix in some flake food, but it produces more of an oily film on the surface of the water. I NEVER feed frozen foods, especially beef heart. There's nothing that will pollute the water more quickly or more thoroughly.

Attachments

• 2022-06-08_13-55-58.jpg
    2022-06-08_13-55-58.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 33
Ouch! That's some damn expensive fish food. I feed my Discus, Cardinals, Corydoras a mixture of four different brands of slow sinking granules. The most expensive of the bunch is around $7 for 93g. I'm new to the forum, so that's U.S. dollars. Is this forum based in Australia?

I also feed freeze dried tubifex (pre-soaked) and algae wafers occasionally. I used to mix in some flake food, but it produces more of an oily film on the surface of the water. I NEVER feed frozen foods, especially beef heart. There's nothing that will pollute the water more quickly or more thoroughly.
This forum is everywhere. We have a good number of American members, UK members, Canadian members, Australian members, and a mix of other nations as well. Just depends who is online.

Since the OP lives in New Zealand, those prices will be in New Zealand dollars rather than US dollars. At this moment, 1 $NZ = 0.56 $US so you can halve those prices for the equivalent in the US.
OK. A bit more reasonable then.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back