I'm a bad example

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Great Lakes

Always do right, not popular...
Reaction score
I had a string going once on water changes, or rather lack of them. My theory was that people get the parameters correct, then suck out 20 percent of the cycled water, and introduce water back in that is of questionable quality, whether it be from the tap or whatnot.
 I was met with skepticism of course, and it is understandable. I am not starting this to point out that I have a better way. We all have to do what works for us.
 Last time I was questioned on my parameters, and did not have current data. But as of today, here goes......

65gal
 Dual filter pack hang on pump. 4-6 week changes.
 I would guess about an 80 percent bio load.
 Top off water only. for over a year.
 PH 6.8
 Nitate 0
 Nitrite 0
 Ammonia 0
 Proteins 0

I did not do a hardness test. But since my plants are healthy and my fish are not laboring to breath, I believe my O2 & CO2 levels are good.

I just wanted to put this out for debate, and maybe a little food for thought to some of you multiple tank owners. Maybe you could go longer intervals with one tank and carefully compare it to others and see what happens
:blush:

Let the bashing begin :)

For those of you new here, this post may explain why I moderate the DIY section, and not the tropical emergency section :laugh:

I would suggest your nitrAte levels are not 0 as you posted unless you have some sort of super plant or machine ;)

Retry that one, the others seem great!

I've heard of this in several tanks, and no complaints. No I don't think your daft ;)

The Nitrates may not be zero but it's those daft test kits, aint it. They only give results in mad ways 8)

The only way to get spot on results are through electonic test machines. they are expensive and if not calebrated right can be completely wrong. Frankly they're a pain in the neck. and the slightest change in anything will give different/false readings. and the electrodes/probs or whatever you want to call them need reseting to often. I wouldn't mind a complete electronic test kit to connect to my pc though.

Since wife is a nurse, you can imagine the quality test kits I have access to :D

I suspect much of my success is a moderate bio load instead of pushing the limits.
I'll have to check the nitrates again, it don't make much sense, but.....who knows.

Quality test kits, uniforms, and a large tank! what else does a man need. lol :laugh: :D

Actually (since I moderate the plants forum, therefore I must know what I'm talking about) the 0 NitrItes and NitrAtes is normal in a planted tank with lots of fish.  I have 3 fully planted tanks at the moment and all of them read 0 Ammonia, 0 NitrItes and 0 Nitrates.  All of them have been fully cycled.  This isn't a unheard of thing in planted tanks.  Rose

Is it a planted tank ? I must have missed that...

Willam, yes I have a couple swords and some other stuff in there. I don't know the names of plants. That's why I don't moderate the plant forum :laugh:
Well...that and Rose does a good job :)

Ok, I thought it was a fish tank, with just a few plants in it ;) If it's heavily planted then yes the nitrAtes probably are zero.

Sorry about that 8)

;) Sound a good theory to me. What about topping up evaporated water, I hope you use R.O. as using tap water will increase mineral and dissolved salts to a very high level. :) Mac.

the one think I have learned about the keeping of water in containers with things that swim in those containers is that it's all trial and error. What works for one person won't always work for another person. I do 95% weekly water changes on my tanks cause I need to to keep my way to over stocked tanks healthy. Some one else may try that and get dead fish from it. Where as they could get away with doing water changes once a month or so. No 2 tanks are the same just as no 2 people are the same. If it works great if not try something else. Keep trying till you find what works for you and your tanks. Rose

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back