Illegal To Keep Native Species In Virginia

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EllieJellyEllie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I didnt know this was a law until today. Here is a list of our native fish-

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/fish/

I know alot of these are bigger and wont really be kept, but I thought this should be out there. It is also illegal to keep snakeheads-http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/snakehead-faq.asp - and if caught should be killed.

I believe this law also applies to our inverts, but I cant find a link on those.

Be careful and make sure you know what you can keep and what you cant keep, and also make sure you know if you have a native species, as permits are needed.

You always got to check.  I once almost ordered some clams for one of my tanks.  Here in Michigan that is a big no no with the Great lakes.  I'm pretty sure snakeheads are illegal in every state now.  I remember when they were one of the easiest fish to find at the lfs. 

Update on this, Im sorry but we cant keep native species yet we can have snakeheads with a permit. :rolleyes: really virginia? Really?

Snakeheads are illegal throughout the US... And Europe I believe if you catch one in the wild you are supposed to kill it.

This is true in most states. You can't transfer species that will survive in a local waterway. Snakeheads are a HUGE problem in Florida as are several no native species. Bad news.

I'm not 100% sure, I'd have to clarify with a game warden, but I think with certain permits you are allowed to keep native species. But it might be only if you have a pond to stock.

Do you have a link to the details for that law where it specifies that it's illegal to catch/keep native fish/inverts? I didn't see anything to that effect from the site you linked and couldn't find anything similar via Google either. I used to live in VA, although it was about 10 years back, so things may have changed. When I was there, I asked about collecting inverts and was told it was covered under a standard fishing license (is that what you're referring to as a permit?), with some protected areas and threatened species being exceptions. Roughly the same fishing license rule has applied to the other few states I've lived in and visited too. This is what I saw today on one part of the VA site, which is still in keeping with what I remember being the case when I lived there:

Taking of Aquatic invertebrates (clams, snails), amphibians (frogs), reptiles (snakes), and nongame fish (minnows) for Private Use**
It is lawful to collect and possess live for private use** only, and not for sale, no more than 5 individuals of any non-listed species of amphibian and reptile, and no more than 20 individuals of any non-listed species of aquatic invertebrate and nongame fish (4 VAC 15-360-10). NO Threatened and Endangered Species may be held for personal use.
** private use means for use in the home, not for scientific, research, survey or educational purposes (which requires a permit).

I think "non-listed" means not on a protected list, but it's not clear on that particular page. 

This other document is more clear about it and is referenced from the other page I linked: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulations/comment2010/proposed-language/4VAC15-360.pdf

A. Possession limits. Except as otherwise provided for in § 29.1-418 of the Code of Virginia, 4 VAC 15-20-130, subdivision 8 of 4 VAC 15-320-40 and the sections of this chapter, it shall be lawful to capture and possess live for private use and not for sale no more than five individuals of any single native or naturalized (as defined in 4 VAC 15-20-50) species of amphibian and reptile and 20 individuals of any single native or naturalized (as defined in 4 VAC 15-20-50) species of aquatic invertebrate and nongame fish unless specifically listed below: (...)

From what the state websites show it looks like you can catch and possess (but not necessarily re-release) native species within certain quantity limits if you have a fishing license and the species isn't on a threatened or endangered list.

My guess is to preserve our native species. So instead of catching all of the native fish for selling they become more so protected. Although I think there is a person selling native species that I don't remember the name and I almost bought a few pumpkin fish but their temper and requirements are not the same as my other fish. I've seen a few native fish in zoos, and even at a cabelas aquarium lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back