ill cory not sure what to do ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

salt doesn't cause fins to dissolve.

post some more pictures of the fish

treat it with copper or malachite green. copper will kill shrimp and snails but malachite green is a carcinogen (causes cancer) so avoid getting the malachite green on you
Here is an updated picture: I didn't mean to imply the salt 'dissolved' the fins. However he was in a stable but not great state for months; and after a 5 days with salt this is his current shape:
xyz.jpg

I removed him about a week ago from salt - i'm thinking i should give him another week or two before any sort of additional treatment. He is not happy with me after the salt bath so usually when i walk over he goes off into the 'shrubs'.

Here is a better picture:
xxx.jpg

I think i'll give him a month or so in this new tank to see if the new environment helps him. The water is a bit calmer and the substrate softer.

use a broad spectrum medication that treats external protozoan infections

Such as ?
use a broad spectrum medication that treats external protozoan infections
Can you provide suitable examples ? I mean a specific product... in case it is not clear.

Last edited:
I just wanted to give an update. It has been 3 full months. Fish is pretty much in the same condition; no worse no better but very active.

What have you treated it with?
5 days of salt (what dose rate).

Anything else?

Just the salt; i treated per recommended concentration in this thread.

Try malachite green or copper for 2-3 weeks.
If possible treat the fish in a bare tank and check the instructions because they usually recommend half dose for fish like eels, loaches and catfish.

Ok. It will be a while - my qt tank - which is a 5 gallon pail (with heater/filter); is full of plants - mech green isn't the best thing for plants.

Ok i put the cory in a pail with 4 gallons of water and 2ml of m. green. I'll leave him there for 2 weeks and return him to the main tank afterwards. I will not add any additional medication or water changes for the two weeks.

If you don't have a filter in the pail with the catfish, I would wipe the inside of the container down and change all the water every day or two and re-dose it. If you don't, you could end up with ammonia poisoning the fish.

I have a well seasoned sponge filter and a heater in the pail. It is one of those 5 gallon pails. There are also a few snails in there.

Most reactions

Back