Ignorant People Buying Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I see where you are coming from Bignose, and honestly I don't think there is much that can be done other than simply speaking up when you see a ignorant fish transaction in your lfs, most cases nothing may be done but some people for sure can be reached.

Also if you notice that employees are not giving proper advice and guidance you could speak to the store manager who may actually give a hoot and talk to his workers. I mean really the way to try and change a business from the outside is by speaking to the manager about these ignorant fish transactions. I mean really if you want to make a large scale difference you would have to open your own fish store and run it your way which as bignose mentioned wouldn't be very profitable.

Just saying something can make a difference in my opinion, there is a lyric from a song that I like that is in some ways similar, its something like " I think that all the silence is worse than all the violence". So really if you get what I am saying if you say something you can make a difference you just have to say it in the store not on the internet, but I think its fine to discuss on the internet just discussion doesn't do much, action does.

I hope someone understood at least something I said!

Oh and one last point I am not sure if many of the people buying fish wrongly are ignorant, they just haven't been educated about fish.

I think that before you buy the fish you want you need to present a basic knowledge of it first. For example I might want to buy a betta. I would say that I have cycled my 5 gallon tank and that I will feed it bloodworms and basic flakes. People may find this process annoying but if you don't have to time to see how big of the tank you need to house a fish than you shouldn't be apart of the hobby.

Thankfully i went for a Betta =/ and they still told me i could put him in with various fin nippers and no heater because you see "they live in small muddy puddles..."

Technically, they're kind of right, but they didn't know it. They live mostly in rice paddies in the wild, which is basically a massive puddle with very little water movement. Of course, we're talking China, which is a reasonably hot and humid part of the world so the water temperature would be higher than any body of water found in the UK and most of the US.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back