If you could go back & forwards in time. . .

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Same thing, if you don't know the size of the population then you shouldn't be removing anything from the wild. It doesn't matter if it is one specimen or a thousand, there is a risk that could be the last of them.
This thread has a million directions, like spilled milk...

For @itiwhetu 's concern about collecting or extinction, if we don't study animals and try to get a handle on what is where, then we have no arguments to save them. No one is going to change logging or farming practices to protect something that isn't there. It's in the interests of people who don't care whether species live or not to not look at them.

Wild Bettas (not splendens) are an example as many species probably were made extinct by human economic activity before anyone ever registered they'd been there. Tell me there are several tiny species that exist nowhere else in my swamp and I will think twice about draining it. Tell me I have an empty swamp and that there's money in drainage, and it's gone.

Now, I have my swamp and I decide there's a market for the tiny species, if I have brains I will sustainably harvest them (after studying their numbers) and maybe help support my family. If I have no brains I'll collect them all and sell them in one shot. If we go away from the question of ignorance and trying to shine a light on diversity over to fish commerce, let's talk freshwater stingrays.

Their spines cause terrible pain if you step on them, and they like to bury themselves in the sand in shallow water. In most places in their Amazonian range, they are shot or speared on sight. They are seen as a dangerous pest, and are locally extinct in a lot of areas. As we go forth and multiply we increase our contact and we tend to kill things that get in our way.

Where they are thriving is in the places where they are collected for the aquarium trade. There, the locals understand they have a valuable resource that can support families that would otherwise be much poorer. I have a friend who is a stingray researcher, and she has spend many hours with locals whose knowledge of the fish runs very deep. The stingray business is still relatively new - just a few decades - and in that time a number of villages have decided to become stewards of a natural resource that supports them. The same pattern repeats itself along all the great tropical rivers and regions where the fish we love are found. Some fish are caught and sold, some fish are caught and eaten, but the numbers are respected because people want their kids to be able to make a living too.

This thread has a million directions, like spilled milk...

For @itiwhetu 's concern about collecting or extinction, if we don't study animals and try to get a handle on what is where, then we have no arguments to save them. No one is going to change logging or farming practices to protect something that isn't there. It's in the interests of people who don't care whether species live or not to not look at them.

Wild Bettas (not splendens) are an example as many species probably were made extinct by human economic activity before anyone ever registered they'd been there. Tell me there are several tiny species that exist nowhere else in my swamp and I will think twice about draining it. Tell me I have an empty swamp and that there's money in drainage, and it's gone.

Now, I have my swamp and I decide there's a market for the tiny species, if I have brains I will sustainably harvest them (after studying their numbers) and maybe help support my family. If I have no brains I'll collect them all and sell them in one shot. If we go away from the question of ignorance and trying to shine a light on diversity over to fish commerce, let's talk freshwater stingrays.

Their spines cause terrible pain if you step on them, and they like to bury themselves in the sand in shallow water. In most places in their Amazonian range, they are shot or speared on sight. They are seen as a dangerous pest, and are locally extinct in a lot of areas. As we go forth and multiply we increase our contact and we tend to kill things that get in our way.

Where they are thriving is in the places where they are collected for the aquarium trade. There, the locals understand they have a valuable resource that can support families that would otherwise be much poorer. I have a friend who is a stingray researcher, and she has spend many hours with locals whose knowledge of the fish runs very deep. The stingray business is still relatively new - just a few decades - and in that time a number of villages have decided to become stewards of a natural resource that supports them. The same pattern repeats itself along all the great tropical rivers and regions where the fish we love are found. Some fish are caught and sold, some fish are caught and eaten, but the numbers are respected because people want their kids to be able to make a living too.
You have managed to describe the destruction of a planet and justify it beautifully.

If I could go back in time, I would go back to 1791 and rip up the second amendment before it had been ratified. By doing that small task, we would not be seeing the tragedies since then, currently and in the future.

If I could go back in time, I would go back to 1791 and rip up the second amendment before it had been ratified. By doing that small task, we would not be seeing the tragedies since then, currently and in the future.
I don't know. Sometimes I think people are just plain no good for the most part. They'd just find another way to kill. People refuse to think for themselves. People seem to have a need to feel superior to someone else. They can't wait for a Fuehrer figure to follow over a cliff. I have no hope for humanity.

I don't know. Sometimes I think people are just plain no good for the most part. They'd just find another way to kill. People refuse to think for themselves. People seem to have a need to feel superior to someone else. They can't wait for a Fuehrer figure to follow over a cliff. I have no hope for humanity.
As much as I agree that there will always be a minority of "no good" people....its about time those same people did not keep using pathetic excuses for their abnormal behaviour...such as being bullied at school.....millions of people get bullied at school but that should not be used as excuse for being a complete waste of oxygen and buying an AR 15 and going on the "poor little me" rampage.

There is too much blame game against everyone else and not enough acceptance of responsibility for one's own behaviour.

@wasmewasntit Are you in England ? The Brits have never put up with gun violence the United States does. Australia finally came to a point where they had had enough and did something about it. That will never happen in Capitalist America. The God of the USA is the almighty dollar and the arms manufacturers provide the sacred implements of the temple. That will never change. Ain't that a bitter pill to swallow.

@wasmewasntit Are you in England ? The Brits have never put up with gun violence the United States does. Australia finally came to a point where they had had enough and did something about it. That will never happen in Capitalist America. The God of the USA is the almighty dollar and the arms manufacturers provide the sacred implements of the temple. That will never change. Ain't that a bitter pill to swallow.
It is a bitter and it is sad...as both a "pill to swallow" but also as an indictment of what a country is becoming.

I am in the UK...and we have not escaped this type of issue....Dunblane in 1996. The difference is that the UK came together and changed the gun laws

I think people should be allowed to have SOME type of self defence but no one should be able to have military grade assault rifles or any type of assault rifle. People out in the country shoyld be able to have things like shotguns and non-automatic rifles for wolves amd cayotes that may want to kill livestock or them. People in cities and small towns should bw able to own hunting rifles or small handguns but things like military snipers? Heck no.

Hello all,
well, for to testify in person how that was doed, i would travel just in the time when all the living creatures ( both animals-plants-humans-etc. ) were seeded here in our own planet by the universal-life-engineers who seeds the life in the whole universe.

I am not a believer in the total extintion of the species as is it were an universal fact. I do believe in the extintion of the species but only in a local/planetarian way. And for this reason all of we are obligated for to do our best for the conservation of all our species here in our planet.

But i do believe that, here in our planet, each every species which is being consided as a "lost, extint and irrecoverable species" ( including all the dinosaurs species too ) actually do exist in abundance in anothers planets where they were seeded too by the universal-life-engineers.

Certainly, the Noah's Ark was the very first endeavor knowed by us for the conservation of the living species on the Earth, but i do believe that the true purpose behind the Noah's Ark do not was the real need of to save these species from the extintion ( because previously to the flooding, the universal-life-engineers already have whole-saved all the genetical bank of the Earth species in their own labs ), instead, i do believe that the true purpose behind the Noah's Ark was mainly for to teach the humans the importance of the conservation of our local ( the Earth ) living resourses for our own survival as an species. Thanks.

A lot of talk about politics, religion, and other fairy tales on this thread. I'm just going to bow out before I catch an infraction.......

Last edited:
Killing Hitler would definitely be a huge mistake - Germany was always going to go off, was only at matter of time. American didnt ratify the Versailles treaty as they thought the reparations were 'a but harsh' too. A number of assignation attempts were called off as it was figured by which time Hitler had taken too much of Dr Morrell's Getafix potions and was stark raving off his nut, and with someone else in charge, Germany may have stood a chance. Then again would you have gone with the Leather fixation guy or the one with jewelry and lipstick ?
Stalin - dont think would have made much difference.

i want to see what it was like before we had so much darkness. Yes we’ve always been back and bad things have always happened but I want to know what airports were like before 9/11. (I was born July 2000 so I don’t remember it). I wanna know what it was like before columbine happened. WW2? What were people doing on their day to day basis? The world is so incredibly scary today. Was it always this scary? I don’t remember it being this scary

Also I am SO SO SO interested in hearing people’s stories about these tragic events if anyone remembers and was around. If it’s a tigger I am so sorry that was not my intention.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back