Idle African Dwaf Frog

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

smudge_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey

I have an African dwarf frog, I am slightly worried because I hardly ever actually see him. When I was rearranging the tank it was empty of decorations/plants for a few days and he was very active. However the tank has now been replanted/re-arranged for about a week now and he is very inactive I hardly ever see him swimming about and very rarely catch site of him at all. I have had for a about a month. Is this normal behavior or is he behaving oddly?

Thanks

Nah normal mate don't worry I hardly see mine don't worry he is fine :)have you got anything for him to rest on at the top of tank ? About 0.5" below the water to 1" so he can sleep on there and not have to move much to breath?

Thats ok then :)

nah I don't but I could put the magnetic algae scraper at that height if that would work

I got a second frog today to keep him company and it manged to jump out of the tank! it was found downstairs in the hall covered in fluff! He managed to jump out of the fishtank (the water level is at least an inch below the top of the tank), walk across my bedroom, go under the door, go across the upstairs landing, down the stairs and right across the hall! You have to love frogs! and thankfully he seems fine now!

I also got the two of them sorted with a place to sleep, got a small, thin piece of bog wood, drilled a hole in it, but in two wee suction things that hold up a heater etc and it sticks to the tank making a little platform for them.

I got a second frog today to keep him company and it manged to jump out of the tank! it was found downstairs in the hall covered in fluff! He managed to jump out of the fishtank (the water level is at least an inch below the top of the tank), walk across my bedroom, go under the door, go across the upstairs landing, down the stairs and right across the hall! You have to love frogs! and thankfully he seems fine now!

I also got the two of them sorted with a place to sleep, got a small, thin piece of bog wood, drilled a hole in it, but in two wee suction things that hold up a heater etc and it sticks to the tank making a little platform for them.

You should quarantine your new frog for a minimum of 30 days away from your current tank and tank supplies (nets etc). Unfortunately the market is rampant with diseased frogs.

I agree with the qutneen unless you know the lfs very well like mine mine are a family business and I've know them quite well and I've never seen a dead fish or animal it should be ok just keep an eye on it make sure it's ok :) also add a lid or they will keep jumping out adf are escape artists :)

amazingly the tank has a lid! the only gap is a small hole at the back about an inch above the water line for leads etc. It did come from a very good, small lfs that I have the utmost respect for, thought the owner admits she knows very little about frogs all the other fish always seem perfectly healthy so im sure he is ok as well.

Both frogs are alive and well, though they seem to be ignoring each other, is that normal? Will they become more social over time or do they tend to just do their own thing?

We only say quteen them because there is a disease that is quite high in nearly all countries especially the uk it kill all frogs who become infected I don't know what effect it will have on fish tbh

My frog got out through a tiny hole in the lid too. It's now plugged with filter wool. It hasn't escaped since, though it does like to sit on top of the filter right next to the hole.

My two don't take much notice of each other, they never have. I still don't know what sex mine are and I've had them over a year. They both have small pinkish spots in their armpits (male) and both have a tiny 'tail' (female). Maybe I'm mis-interpreting the signs to look for. Whether they would be together more if I had one of each I don't know.

Most reactions

Back