FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nitro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Can someone identify this cory please.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Apparently it is C. loretoensis but i would like other opinions.

Yup, C. leucomelas was definitely my first thought too. The only common name I've seen for them is Black-Fin Cory. One of my favorites! They are SO cute :wub:

Check out Planet Catfish for pics of the leucomelas.

The pics I could find of the species you mention don't have the black "mask" over the eyes, which the leucomelas have.

:dunno: I still think they look more like leucomelas than anything else. Schwartzi could be too though, but on the pics of the schwartzi, the spots form more distinct lines than on yours :dunno:

My first thought is Corydoras Leucomelas. Not C. Schwartzi though, they have a gold band just in front of the dorsal fin spine, and the spots are arranged in neat rows, the background to which is lighter.

I'd say c. meanistius melanistius

The face is too blunt and the doral spot too small for c. leucomelas (although allowing for genetic drift it is within possibility)

c. schwartzi has no black on the dorsal at all and c.loretoensis is an altogether thinner and more delicate looking fish.

It looks like leucomelas, which (I think) is a synonym of C. Delphax, as well as C. melanistius. I'd say melanistius is the most accurate classification, as that's what it's classified as in Warren E. Burgess' A Complete Introduction to Corydoras and Related Catfishes. The man's one of the most respected authors in the aquarium industry, especially for corydoras.

EDIT: Oh yeah, when I purchased it the common name was a Delfax Spotted Cory.

I identified it from the aqualog All Corydoras, also a well repected reference, so it seems to be a consensus that it's a melanistius.

Yay. Enjoy your Corydoras melanistius!

I'm more inclined to believe SirMinion on this one. :nod: I own 2 C. leucomelas, and while they are similar in appearance, I can definitely tell the difference.

This a pic of one of my leucomelas...my baby. :wub: Notice it has black extending almost all the way through the dorsal fin? And also, on the pictures of nitro's Corys, the spots seem to extend all the way to the tips of the tail, while on leucomelas they stop before reaching the tips, leaving them clear. :nod:
BabyCory.jpg

Sorry the pic is so dark, but you should be able to get the idea. ;) :D

I've now looked more closely and, contrary to my previous statement, the species C. Leucomelas, C. Melanistius, and C. Delphax are not synonyms.

According to my reference by Burgess, I think that they look more like Leucomelas. I think they're that species for the following reasons;

1) In this book, all photographs exhibiting Leucomelas have spotting extending through the body into the tail, much like nitro's photos.

2) Leucomelas appear to have a dark dorsal blotch that extends onto the body, but it doesn't extend nearly as far as that of Melanistius. Also, between the two lines on Melanistius there appears to be a 'shiny' spot, which doesn't appear on Leucomelas (nor in nitro's pictures).

Aside from Burgess' book, I also looked at FishBase, a very reliable classification website.

Most reactions

trending

Back