Identify the fish.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I am not certain of the species, other than it is not Ancistrus (Bristlenose). If it is a common pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) it will attain somewhere between 12 and 20 inches. It requires at minimum a 4-foot long tank, though larger would be preferable. It is a huge waste factory. Now is the time to re-home/return if this is not in the near future, as this is less stress for the fish than later.

I am not certain of the species, other than it is not Ancistrus (Bristlenose). If it is a common pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) it will attain somewhere between 12 and 20 inches. It requires at minimum a 4-foot long tank, though larger would be preferable. It is a huge waste factory. Now is the time to re-home/return if this is not in the near future, as this is less stress for the fish than later.

Good to know, thank you. I will have to do some research, find out exactly what type of species it is.

Two points: 1). That pleco will outgrow a 65G tank quicker than @PheonixKingZ realizes. I would rehome it. 2). Platies can hold sperm in pockets for months so they could continue to get pregnant and give birth for months.

Two points: 1). That pleco will outgrow a 65G tank quicker than @PheonixKingZ realizes. I would rehome it. 2). Platies can hold sperm in pockets for months so they could continue to get pregnant and give birth for months.
As far as the pleco goes I will do what is necessary when the time comes. And I'm not going to stress myself out about the platies until they give birth.

I don't even know if they are actually preggo anyway

Hate to argue with you, but on average, common Plecos only grow 3-5 inches long in their first year. That means in another year (depending on how long it is now) it will only be 6 inches long. That should give the OP plenty of time to get a bigger tank.

Hate to argue with you, but on average, common Plecos only grow 3-5 inches long in their first year. That means in another year (depending on how long it is now) it will only be 6 inches long. That should give the OP plenty of time to get a bigger tank.
I agree with that. That’s why I wouldn’t keep it. That’s a big fish for only a year. Even at 3 years possibility of keeping it, I wouldn’t want to knowing I would get attached and then have to rehome it. I wouldn’t do temporary upgrades for an inevitable situation . JMO

Last edited:
. I agree with that. That’s why I wouldn’t keep it. That’s a big fish for only a year. Even at 3 years possibility of keeping it, I wouldn’t want to knowing I would get attached and then have to rehime it. I wouldn’t do temporary upgrades for an inevitable situation . JMO
I understand what your saying and thanks for your input but as previously stated he wasn't in the best condition when I got him and has improved tremendosly in his new home (for now) unless he acts like hes unhappy or uncomfortable (for now) he stays.

That’s fine if you let him go when the times come. I speak from experience. I now have a garden pond for a foot long goldfish that I couldn’t let go of. :)

That still gives the OP enough time to find a different home, or get a bigger tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back