Identification

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Buffy1977

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello, I’m hoping you lovely lot can help
In identifying this pair. Thank you in advance.
12E8FD40-C49B-4210-B5FF-B999B0A77840.jpeg

You would get better colours if they had a dark substrate or less overhead light. As for the fish, no idea, possibly a hybrid Cichlasoma species from South America.
What did you buy them as?

They are Ellioti Cichlids, looking very stressed right now so lets wait for them to colour up to be 100% but fairly confident but they could be one of the other Thoricthys species.

They are a Central American cichlid so neutral to hard water, slightly cooler temperatures but happy in mid 20s. Not too aggressive but need to be sensible about their tank mates and they grow to about 6-7 inches, maybe some will get to 8.

Wills

Definitely Thorichthys, probably T. maculipinnis (Elliott cichlid) as Wills said. They actually want hard alkaline water.

They are Ellioti Cichlids, looking very stressed right now so lets wait for them to colour up to be 100% but fairly confident but they could be one of the other Thoricthys species.

They are a Central American cichlid so neutral to hard water, slightly cooler temperatures but happy in mid 20s. Not too aggressive but need to be sensible about their tank mates and they grow to about 6-7 inches, maybe some will get to 8.

Wills
What makes you think stressed? I’ve had them about 4 weeks and they have been pretty chilled most of the time. The last few days, one has taken to moving all the sand from a corner of the tank, and just likes to stay close to the floor.

Definitely Thorichthys, probably T. maculipinnis (Elliott cichlid) as Wills said. They actually want hard alkaline water.
I live in a hard water area

You would get better colours if they had a dark substrate or less overhead light. As for the fish, no idea, possibly a hybrid Cichlasoma species from South America.
What did you buy them as?
I write down, but for the life of me can’t find the paper. Poss Ellioti cichlids?

What makes you think stressed? I’ve had them about 4 weeks and they have been pretty chilled most of the time. The last few days, one has taken to moving all the sand from a corner of the tank, and just likes to stay close to the floor.
Because of the dark stripes but seeing them mixed with the sand clearing it could be breeding behaviour - I cant remember if they are substrate or surface spawners though?

Wills

Update! I have babies 🙈. And I’m on holiday. My neighbour took this pic for me. I have a video, but couldn’t get it to upload

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back