Ideas for my tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MicT1

Reaction score
Hello !
I'm a starter. I have a 10 gallon fresh water cycling right now, so I'm starting to think about what to put in the tank.
I don't have a heater so I'm looking for fishs that like cold water.

Here's is my ideas :
- 5-6 pygmy corydoras
- About 5 zebra danios
- About 5 white cloud minnows

Is this too much ? What would be your recommendations for my tank?

Thanks all !

What is your GH?
Pygmy corydoras need a GH below 215ppm
Temperature wise, they need 70-78F
Also, the pygmies need groups of 10 minimum as theyre quite shy.

As for the zebra danios, they need a 3 foot tank, theyre too active for a 10 gallon.

White clouds may be fine, however.

Provided your GH is where the cories need:
10 corydoras pygmaeus
6 white cloud mountain minnows

Leave it at that. A 10g isn't as forgiving with water parameters as the larger tanks are

My tank is not ready yet, so I'll monitor the GH closely. Could celestial pearl danios work since they are smaller? Are they as active? Or do you have other fish to recommend ? (water is staying at 70-72 F) Else, i'll go with your cory + minnows recommendation if my local fish store have the latter.

Thank you again !

Id stay between 72-74F best for the cories, the extreme ends longterm aren't the greatest.

And GH is your general hardness, you need to know it before you get fish, it doesn't fluctuate usually.
You can check your local water providers site too, they may tell you in most places.

You may be thinking of pH that can change as well, stability is most important with pH, but GH will determine what you will have best success with.

Hello !
I'm a starter. I have a 10 gallon fresh water cycling right now, so I'm starting to think about what to put in the tank.
I don't have a heater so I'm looking for fishs that like cold water.

Here's is my ideas :
- 5-6 pygmy corydoras
- About 5 zebra danios
- About 5 white cloud minnows

Is this too much ? What would be your recommendations for my tank?

Thanks all !

Celestial Pearl Danios are a nice looking nano fish that tend to do well in cooler waters. Anything below 71 degrees is too cold though. Another good option (hard water only) are endlers. They'll do fine without a heater and stay very small. Make sure to ask for all males if you don't want any babies because the females tend to spawn every 24 days or so. A group of 7 or 8 males would look nice in a 10 gallon!

The fish that have been suggested so far are not cold water fish but temperate fish. How cold does the room with the tank get in the middle of the coldest winter night? If it drops below 18 deg C/64 deg F you will need a heater. Our house certainly drops below that on a winter night.

Most reactions

trending

Back