Ideas for low tech floater plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

You really don't need much fertilizer like anewibe says. It really depends on what the tank size is and what you have stocked.
I donā€™t have a strong light so Iā€™m looking at different options
That does really matter I have medium lighting and my plants boom if it's very low lights then you probably will need some fertilizer. Even low lighting you may not need it. I'm running my 30 gallon no fertz with a desk light since my light broke and the floating plants are perfect maybe a Bit slow growing but still very healthy

Last edited:
I have red root floaters and sylvania. Both are good in a tank. These are very tolerant to light levels low or high. You cannot kill the with low or high light, water current, high humidity, or water drops on the top of the leaves. IN my experience the only thing that harms floating plants is lack of nutrients (nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, sulfur, chlorine, iron, manganese, boron, zinc, copper, molybdenum, nickel) If the leaves look damaged or abnormal a nutrient deficiency is likely the cause. Adding a fertilizer should help. If not the fertilizer may not be comparable with your water parameters or the fertilizer might not have all the nutrients plants need.

Nutrients occur from feeding the fish and water changes. The primary source of "hard" minerals like calcium especially and magnesium is the water change, so the GH of your water is a factor. Floating plants are very fast growing, which means they need lots of "food." Supplementation of nutrients (plants require 17 of these) is usually beneficial, sometimes mandatory, depending upon the light, fish load and plant species and numbers. A comprehensive supplement is the best option for floaters as it ensures everything is available. You aree in WA state, so you should be able to track down Seachem or Brightwell Aquatics, in fish stores or online. Seachem manufacture an excellent comprehensive, Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium which I have been using for over 12 years. Brtightwell Aquatics manufactures FlorinMulti which is much the same. Either of these are your best bet.

As for fish, yes, these things do affect them, more the soft water species that hard water, but provided you do not overdose you are OK. Get the smallest bottle of whichever you select of these two, it will last months as you use so little. Be certain to get the exact same name of either product, as they make several very different (and some downright dangerous) products under these brand names.
i ordered a 100ml of flourish imma test if it works Iā€™ll get a bigger bottle

I used to have a Sylvania but I traded it in for an RCA.
But , my Salvinia grows great under an ordinary 15 watt fluorescent strip light. It's getting long roots like frogbit and looks nice. Seems to be spreading fast too.

Salvinia minima grows like crazy in my 40g. I sell it on Etsy. If you are interested just pm me. I can hook you up with lots of it for a good price.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back