Ideal Temperature

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JenCliBee

PleC & CorY MaD
Reaction score
Hi all just curious as to what the actuall ideal temp for cherry shrimp are?... theres such a broad range of temps they can go .... i know that..... but what would be the ideal... ie for general keeping, colour and breeding them?

thanks jen

Ive switched heaters in my shrimp tanks so much that think I can answer this :D.

I keep mine now at 23*C-26*C (I have an underpowered heater so it fluctuates based on weather, will probably get lower in winter).

Lower than this and they breed noticeably slower IME (15-20*C), but higher than this and they live shorter also IME (27*C-29*C).

So the best consistent temp IMO would be around 24*C.

I like the idea of letting it be more natural and have temps that fluctuate based on the time of the year due to a low powered heater, as I think on balance the more natural the better.

I agree with 3-fingers, I keep them at about 23C but that is because I have them with crystal reds, if you want lots of them then they seem to do fine up to 28C, they have survived a few days in temperatures as high as 33C and they live under ice in the winter in my garden, even tiny ones survived the very cold snap last winter. I have them in an old tank in the garden they don’t move under 5C, they start eating and moving about once the temp stays above 10C and at about 16C the females start to carry eggs, needless to say they live a longer but slower life. Outside there is a big difference in day and night temps but they don't seem to have a problem with that. I have not noticed any changes in colour due to temperature. So really its up to you what temperature you want to keep them at.

Cheers three fingers for the reply i didnt relise i had a reply :blush:

Thanks also liam, i have mine set at around 26 ish so sems about average that way going by what people have said, do the CRS like the lower temps then? or is that just your choice on temp?

CRS have the same link between metabolism and temperature. CRS come from the same environment as RCS but are just not as hardy due to inbreeding therefore can't survive the extremes that RCS can. My RCS in the pond actually seem brighter in colouration then the ones in the tank perhaps its a contrast with surroundings that makes them appear this way or some gunk on the bottom of the pond they love either way its hard to actually kill RCS from temperature and 22-26C is the general optimum production range.

CRS have the same link between metabolism and temperature. CRS come from the same environment as RCS but are just not as hardy due to inbreeding therefore can't survive the extremes that RCS can. My RCS in the pond actually seem brighter in colouration then the ones in the tank perhaps its a contrast with surroundings that makes them appear this way or some gunk on the bottom of the pond they love either way its hard to actually kill RCS from temperature and 22-26C is the general optimum production range.

Cheers m8, well the tank is now sitting at 26 so if thats good.. and by the comments made it is... i will leave it be now ;)

thanks to all that have replied :)

jen

25C is as high as I would go for CRS or CBS, I prefer 23/24C. In warmer climates where people use chillers, 25C is regarded as the upper limit. They can cope with 26/27C or even higher than that short term but it is far from ideal for them.

I like the idea of letting it be more natural and have temps that fluctuate based on the time of the year due to a low powered heater, as I think on balance the more natural the better.

Aha nice idea, but could be foiled depending on which part of the world any particular shrimp / fish is from...?!

Of course, how natural/realistic it actually is would depend on species, but most climates have some fluctuation though based on season. For example, glaciers melting often result in lower water temperatures in some summer months even around the equator. So fluctuations of a few *C are generally no problem for most aquarium species even if you have some species in the tank that wouldn't get the same fluctuations in nature :good:.

I too have my heater set to 23*C since I also have CRS/CBS, but I have pretty high lighting on my tank and its currently summer so during the day the temp is around 26*C.

25C is as high as I would go for CRS or CBS, I prefer 23/24C. In warmer climates where people use chillers, 25C is regarded as the upper limit. They can cope with 26/27C or even higher than that short term but it is far from ideal for them.

Cheers m8 may drop it a couple more degrees then in that case :)

thanks again all for the input

jen

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back