ID please?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PearlTigress

Reaction score
Guys I screwed up. I was all set on rainbowfish and then I went and looked up stocking ideas and accidentally fell in love with the idea of African cichlids. I feel MTS around the corner but hopefully my son's 29g will keep my peaceful community tank itch, scratched. Anyway... I fell in love with this guy on a video. Can you tell me what it is?

Related, I'm taking any advice on the idea of African cichlids in a 75g. My water is moderately hard, about 200/11.7, and pH is about 7.6. Those should increase a bit next year as we add well water to the mix. I know there's three main categories of these guys but don't know which to go with. Or maybe this is a terrible idea. I don't know. Help.
Screenshot_20200730-151346.png

Id suggest its a peacock hybrid; orange blotched

Ive no experience with them sorry but they are stunning.

Have you considered going for a saltwater setup?

I've considered it but the cost and time is too much for me. I have three little kids, ages 5 and under, so I don't want to go too too complicated. When they move out (if??) I'll convert to saltwater.

Understandable! I recently bought a tank from someone who used it as saltwater and to begin with he explained how its not as expensive as one would think. He then continued to talk about how a coral the size of a grain of rice set him back £20 :blink:

I know this is late... But I've seen this fish being sold as a "calico red empress" at the lfs. Likely a hybrid that the distributor is breeding and self named. Total guess.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back