Id Help Please!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

idlefingers

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I bought this coral yesterday. In the shop it was labeled as H. actiniformis but I'm not sure.. All pics I've found of H. actiniformis have the plate coral look to them with all the polyps coming from a flat disc whereas what I've got skeleton is much more rounded with polyps coming from all around it. It's hard to tell because I haven't seen it completely retracted, but it looks like it has about three main pieces to it (which could be connected in the middle) rater than just one disc.

1569259483_1a6ee40743_b.jpg

Would the skeleton not being shaped like what I've seen of H. actiniformis suggest it's E. glabrescens or is it not always a flat disc?

:dunno:

Sorry, sorry, sorry....I was mistaken as to what H. actiniformis was...you are right, they both have skeletons. However, I am still going to vote torch coral because the plate coral would have only one skeleton and not be found in a group of three. As far as I know, they are not likely to be attached to live rock or anything like that and would instead, be best placed on the substrate. Plates can, and do move around as well, so they wouldnt be stationary, which would be a further hint for you.

Ahh okay.. that makes sense. It does seem to be much more like a torch coral than a plate coral. Thanks for the help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back