Id Help Please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

idlefingers

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I just noticed this beast in my tank. It looks kind of like a slug and has a few long hairs on it's back.

1240111650_1f0b9d3a00_o.jpg

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Cheers littleme.. I'll try to get some better pics (that one was especially pants because the tank lights were off) but I've lost it now.. haven't a clue where it's gone to.. It's surprisingly fast for a snail/slug type thing!

Looks like a nassarius snail that has some sand and algae on it. :unsure:

I think looks most like the stomatella varia which gigmeyer suggested. Not completely sure, though.. I haven't been able to find it since the lights have been on. I'm going to go on a snail hunting mission tonight with a torch and my camera and hopefully I'll find it and get a better shot!

If you look closely, you'll probably see that has a shell on its back. It looks like a stomatella varia to me which is a common (and good) hitchiker. http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/s...tella_varia.htm

Yep, definitely a Stomatellid sp. snail. Its a beneficial herbivore, and your right idlefingers, go out at night and use a spotlight with red cellophane on it, this should reduce the stress on the other organisms within the tank when you go out raiding. You might be surprised to find more than one, mine bred like crazy there for a while (until a Nemertean ate them all..... :( ).

Well I actually saw the little so-and-so in the light but couldn't for the life of me get a better pic. After being able to stare at it for a while in the light I'm pretty sure it is a stomatella though.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a red slide to attach to the torch.. never though of that! I've been holding the torch and blocking the beam with my hand to stop it from dazzling the fish but that sounds much better!

Find some colored saran wrap, aka kitchen plastic wrap... Dunno if they sell it in the UK, but they sell it colored here

Cheers Ski, I'll have a look for that.

It's getting adventurous and coming out during the day so I managed to get a couple more pics..

1260605693_87a1fa0405_o.jpg

Bottom
1261464688_481cb3be93_b.jpg

yup i got one of those, ive only seen it twice though.....

Mine do come out during the light phase, but there is definitely more during darkness. I use a red colored spirits glass and put my Camera phone in it (with the flash on of course! :p ). :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back