Id For This Loach?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rybrows

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can somebody ID my loach please?

Shop said it was a "sucking loach".... Not really specific...

Looks like a Chinese Algae eater, otherwise known as CAE.

Think this was mentioned on your other thread.

Afraid these guys can grow pretty mean when get to adults, can suck slime coats off other fish especially slow flat sided fish, causes a lot of damage.

Would re-home this guy really unless you have a suitable large tank with suitable tank mates.

Definitely... Do you get any friendly loaches??

Kuhli loaches are good loaches for small tanks

The markings make it look like a yo yo loach but the mouth parts are not loach-like and it may well be, as Ch4rlie says, a Chinese Algae Eater and that is not good news. Have another close look and see if the mouth parts look like a sucker or whether they have barbels. If barbels it's a loach, if sucker be prepared to get a really big tank.

I have had these before, it is a Chinese Algae Eater :) I picked them because I had a tank too small for a pleco at the time.

Unfortunately, CAE don't grow much smaller then plecs; they'll get to nearly a foot long :/

Agreed... Chinese Algae Eater.... only going to get big and very nasty.... will only eat algae whilst young before needing higher protein and moving on to the other fish...

Thanks for your help... My mates taken it off me tomorrow... Sorted!

Oh wow, I just looked up information on the species and they do get very big. My dad told me they stay small (and was wrong) and we didn't have it very long, so I had no idea! Thanks for your correction.

Most reactions

Back