Id For This Java Fern

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
A while back I bought some narrow leaf java fern. Here it is in my tank, it is VERY thin, recently I ordered a bunch more of this online because I love how it looks but instead I was sent a thicker version. Was I sent normal java fern or is this plant I have a super SUPER narrow leaf java fern? I ordered from two different websites, the first one I don't remember who. (it was actually a seller on ebay but whatever).

I want more of this plant. Thanks 

Attachments

• IMG_2441.JPG
    IMG_2441.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 431
Java ferns can vary a lot in shape, depending on the set up, so I wouldn't blame the seller.

For example, I have the trident variety in my tanks, all cuttings taken from one original plant. In most of my tanks it grows perfectly normally, and they all have the same leaf shape, but I have one tank where it grows very long, thin tips to the middle portion of leaf. Looks like a completely different plant!

In its habitat, Microsorium pteropus is a bog plant, growing emersed along the stream bank and submersed.  It has a wide distribution throughout tropical Asia, and is highly variable; there are large and small frond plants.  There are also several cultivars in the hobby, many introduced by the Tropica nurseries, like the 'Windelov' which is quite attractive.  We usually call them leaves but fronds is more correct, as this plant is a true fern.

Byron.

Yeah I can understand that because the java fern is such a common and varied plant. I have an emersed growing setup using daylight, I can grow almost anything. (BTW if you don't use that you should try it, I put a single piece of pearlweed that was dying in my emersed dirt setup and after a week it carpeted out. I have about 3 square inches of pearlweed carpet now...)

Would I be able to grow the java fern in an emersed setup? 

cooledwhip said:
Would I be able to grow the java fern in an emersed setup? 

Yes, provided the atmosphere is humid, and the rhizome and roots are wet, as in water-soaked soil/sand/gravel.  The emersed fronds will presumably be different from the submersed, as occurs in all amphibious plants, but I don't know exactly how as I have never grown this plant emersed.  

Ok cool. Also I figured instead of making another thread I'll just ask this question too:

How do I propogate cryptocorne wendtii? Do I cut the rhizome thing in half? I don't think it uses runners.

cooledwhip said:
Ok cool. Also I figured instead of making another thread I'll just ask this question too:

How do I propogate cryptocorne wendtii? Do I cut the rhizome thing in half? I don't think it uses runners.

Crypts will send out a runner and daughter plants will grow from it, but it can take some time.  C. wendtii is said to be quite fast at doing this, provided the plant settles in.  Crypts do not like being moved, nor do they like any changes whatsoever in water parameters or lighting.  Some react more than others, but any changes will generally set them back, and frequently bring on the crypt melt or rot.  So give it time to establish where it is, and hope for the best.

I wouldn't think cutting the rhizome of crypts is advisable; this can work for Java Fern and Anubias quite well, but crypts are a different thing.  I've never done this.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Back