ID a young Pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GLAB

Reaction score
I purchased a small pleco about 3 weeks ago and would like to see if anybody can confirm if its a Bristle Nose and what type. Can it be a Starlight Bristle Nose (it has the white spots)? It is currently about an inch long and growing fast. I purchased at the Flagstaff AZ Petsmart and the attendant indicated it should be a Bristle Nose variety.

Attachments

• Pleco.jpg
    Pleco.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 70
I purchased a small pleco about 3 weeks ago and would like to see if anybody can confirm if its a Bristle Nose and what type. Can it be a Starlight Bristle Nose (it has the white spots)? It is currently about an inch long and growing fast. I purchased at the Flagstaff AZ Petsmart and the attendant indicated it should be a Bristle Nose variety.
I would say either a green spotted bristlenose or a starlight bristlenose. If the white streaks on the end of the top fin and tailfin become more visible with time then I'd say it's a starlight for sure. It's a bit hard to tell now because it's a juvenile.

Definitely not a starlight. That's a young common bristlenose

I can not disagree with accepting that it may be a "common" however the white edge on the dorsal and back fin was interesting marking. Also, the fact that I got it at Petsmart. Hard to figure they would sell a true Starlight.
Hopefully it doesn't lose the white markings with age, as they add a more interesting look.

Juvenile common bn have the white markings and lose them with age unfortunately. They are still beautiful fish imo, and yours is particularly nice. And they are much better than starlights in how they act. If this was a starlight, the chances are you would never get to see it, they are especially timid. Commons tend to be much more outgoing.

Thank you for your comments I really appreciate it. So far as an immature youngster it is active all day and out and about ! :) Hope that activity keeps up through adulthood.

Thank you for your comments I really appreciate it. So far as an immature youngster it is active all day and out and about ! :) Hope that activity keeps up through adulthood.
I have one like yours who's maybe a cm bigger than yours. If he had white markings, it has now turned golden which is pretty cool.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back