Ick

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Sarah C Mckee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I introduced a brisstlenose pleco to my 30 gallon tank with 4 harlequin 5 neon tetra 4 corries 1 gourami. Iā€™ve had the tank with this fish for a year. Two days later notice ick on the pleco, do I take him out? Or treat whole tank. Iā€™m sure the tank is infected now right? I have ick guard already on hand , just donā€™t know what to do first Iā€™m so scared to kill my fish Iā€™ve had for so long

Treat the whole tank. Can I see pictures and are you sure its ick.

Treat the whole tank. Can I see pictures and are you sure its ick.

He wonā€™t let me catch him but yea Iā€™ve dealt with it before and lost all my fish

should I treat with medication or do water change and heat? I have corries who I thought were sensitive to medication.

I do both personally but it is your decision. If you want the best chance of survival I would do both. I think cory catfish are more sensitive to the heat than the medication but im not 100 percent sure. But mine have been fine when I treated my tank with medication and did water changes and raised the temp. When my community tank I only lost my tetras but hopefully you caught the ick quick enough to get rid of it.

I do both personally but it is your decision. If you want the best chance of survival I would do both. I think cory catfish are more sensitive to the heat than the medication but im not 100 percent sure. But mine have been fine when I treated my tank with medication and did water changes and raised the temp. When my community tank I only lost my tetras but hopefully you caught the ick quick enough to get rid of it.
Do you gradually raise the temp to the 86 degrees for two weeks as well? Have you used ick guess before ?

Attachments

• A8F21E54-5748-4BFF-98DE-ED671BDE4B47.jpeg
    A8F21E54-5748-4BFF-98DE-ED671BDE4B47.jpeg
    666.9 KB · Views: 81
You can kinda see a few dots on his head but heā€™s hiding well

Ya I see the dots. Check and see if the ick medication you are using has methyline blue in it because that is what I use. Yes and gradually raise the temp.

Hereā€™s a better one

Attachments

• 10C2D56C-486F-4E64-B122-AFFF036F0EAD.jpeg
    10C2D56C-486F-4E64-B122-AFFF036F0EAD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 85
I just did 75%water change and raised the temp by two degrees

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
You can even add aquarium salt which will help with the ick. Ya the ick guard should help get rid of the ick.

So just Drop it in now then? Last year I tried just heat with my old tank and thatā€™s when they died so thatā€™s why I want to use the medication, but Iā€™m also so scared because of the stuff I read about the medication stressing the fish out too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back