ick

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CryptFan

Fish Crazy
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So yesterday I notice one out of my 3 new swordtails has ick, I immediately netted her and the other one that came from the same tank, and put them in my fry grow out tank with little hope that there won’t be an ick outbreak. Today more than 24 hours later I don’t see anything on any of my fish, but both swordtails I moved have Ick now. what Would my best course of action be? I would like to treat with api ick guard, not salt or heat.
i have been fortunate enough to never have to deal with ick, so I need some Imput.
@Byron

Why not turn the temp up ? Rather than use chemical ? Let the ich run its cycle n die off in due course. I don't understand your reasoning ? The fish will probably love it and bear in mind the whole tank will be free of this, but removing fish will stress them and undoughtedly leave ich in the substrate of the main tank so I can't agree with this strategy, sorry. It's not hard to get rid of ich at all.

Why not turn the temp up ? Rather than use chemical ? Let the ich run its cycle n die off in due course. I don't understand your reasoning ? The fish will probably love it and bear in mind the whole tank will be free of this, but removing fish will stress them and undoughtedly leave ich in the substrate of the main tank so I can't agree with this strategy, sorry. It's not hard to get rid of ich at all.
My corries get stressed out when the temp goes heigher than 80 and I have ick meds sitting around and want to actually get my money’s worth and use it. Should I just dose both tanks now? Or just the grow out tank and if the other fish in the main tank get it then treat?

Some ich meds are known to kill certain fish. Be careful.
I have the super ick cure by api, it says do a 1/2 dose for scale Less fish, but I have gouramis, guppies, barbs, and Corys and according to Wikipedia they all have scales.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.
Do a 90% water change and complete gravel clean. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
Clean the filter.
Increase aeration/ surface turbulence.
Raise water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks.

no chemicls needed and the Cories will be fine.

Others have said what I will be posting, but as I was mentioned in post #1 I will respond.

Ich is common and very easy to deal with; if you act in time no fish should die. Stress causes it (the parasite is obviously present), so reduce stress from any source as much as possible.

Raise the temperature to 30C/86F for two weeks. Do a major water change at the start (increase the temp some with this as well as the heater) and weekly. Increase surface disturbance to ensure a good oxygen/CO2 exchange; warmer water holds less oxygen so this is important (this is the cory issue you mentioned). Feed the fish minimally, they need energy but more in fighting off the ich than in digesting food.

Never use the so-called ich medications. Less substances in the water means less stress on the fish because all additives cause stress to all fish. Leave the fish in the tank, there is no benefit in a QT and in fact this will only make it worse.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back