FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bettadan2468

Reaction score
Hey all, I need help ASAP. I got permission to clean and take care of my boyfriends parents fish tanks. The one I need help with is a 55gal freshwater tropical mixed tank. With angels, Cory's, plecos, tetras, and other fishies I'm not sure what they are, and a snail. Everything has been going fine, but I've been saying and saying the tank is overstocked and I can do ten water changes a week and I can't keep the nitrates down. So I keep telling them to get rid of plastic plants. But no. So what I have to deal with is what i got. I'll have pics of entire tank. But two days ago ONE of the x-rays tetras looked about dead. All of the other fish always look healthy. He has like, white spots all over, but they are IN his skin, so I don't think it's ick, plus only two of the fish have it. It's a x-ray tetra and a glow tetra. The pids of the x-ray seem to be like ate off, and the skin seems irritated, not only the skin, the veins and gills seem to be too. But the glowie has a bump on the top of his head, and his side fins seem to be sore. The fish aren't itchy, they seem to be hurting. I added a lil overdose of stress coat, and I dosed it correctly for the prime. Hopefully that will help. But please any info I would GREATLY appreciate. IM SO STUCKKK
I added a pic of the healthy X-ray tetra, and the entire tank, (ALL THE OTHER FISH ARE HEALTHY/SHOWING NO SIGHT OF BEING SICK)
Snapchat-571696715.jpg
Snapchat-151505689.jpg
Snapchat-1427262786.jpg
Snapchat-616183705.jpg
Snapchat-1197311147.jpg
Snapchat-838179229.jpg
Snapchat-907969979.jpg

EDIT****
IM SO SORRY, THEY ARENT XRAY TETRAS, THEY ARE WHITE SKIRT TETRAS

I'm a newbie so cant help but I know the more experience people will be on soon and will definitely ask you for water parameters

Yeah as above ^

When you say your nitrates are always high. What exactly is ‘high’ what numbers are you sitting at?

I also wouldn’t use stress coat, it has aloe very which actually irritates skin

I would use salt (it’s almost always a good option) using 1 tablespoon for roughly every 5 gallons. Aquarium salt or rock salt.

Gonna need better pictures that are in focus. Take a heap of pictures and check them on your computer. Find a couple that are clear, in focus and show the problem, then post them here.

Gonna need better pictures that are in focus. Take a heap of pictures and check them on your computer. Find a couple that are clear, in focus and show the problem, then post them here.
I tried, I have a sucky phone so it's hard but I'm gonna try to get better ones

Yeah as above ^

When you say your nitrates are always high. What exactly is ‘high’ what numbers are you sitting at?

I also wouldn’t use stress coat, it has aloe very which actually irritates skin

I would use salt (it’s almost always a good option) using 1 tablespoon for roughly every 5 gallons. Aquarium salt or rock salt.
Nitrates above 80ppm. And I can't use salt as there's snails in the tank. Stress coat helps with the slime coat on the fish is what I thought🤷🏼‍♀️

Stress coat helps with the slime coat on the fish is what I thought
That's what the company would have you believe. Aloe vera coats the gills as well and this causes problems down the line. It's just a gimmick to make people think they need to buy it.
Their other water conditioner API Tap Water Conditioner does not contain aloe vera or any thing else to 'promote the slime coat'. It contains less chemicals than just about any other water conditioner.

That's what the company would have you believe. Aloe vera coats the gills as well and this causes problems down the line. It's just a gimmick to make people think they need to buy it.
Their other water conditioner API Tap Water Conditioner does not contain aloe vera or any thing else to 'promote the slime coat'. It contains less chemicals than just about any other water conditioner.
I understand, Ill use sachem prime. I already have it, is that a good one

it doesn't look like white spot but I really can't tell

it could be excess mucous or lymphocystis.

maybe do a water change and gravel clean and see if it helps.

Snapchat-571696715.jpg

I did. He looks about dead.

And also his lips are literally gone. And the other glow tetra has a white spot on his eye just like the spots on the white ones tail

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back