Ich?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jenaliff

Reaction score
This has to be ich right? Every time I put a new fish in my tank, it gets these white spots that stick out from their body and then they end up going away.

Attachments

• IMG_20221001_203620.jpg
    IMG_20221001_203620.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20221001_203640.jpg
    IMG_20221001_203640.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 31
the photo is not super clear since ich is very tiny dots :)
it could be when you are netting them in, they get air bubbles in their slime coat, and after a while it pops. sometimes that happens when i scoop around fish

If it is ich, you need to gradually raise the tank temp to 86 degrres F and leave it there for two weeks. Every day perform a gravel vac to remove any eggs. This procedure could cure your fish. Do a large 50% water change every few days.

It looks like Ich, but is it? Ich doesn't just go away, and there are other white spot parasites with poorly known life cycles. If you leave Ich untreated, the fish go away, not the parasite.

Neoichthyophthirius schlotfeldti
is an Ich relative that is becoming more and more common on fish farms, and that reproduces on the fish, and not in the water column. It can reproduce at up to 34 degrees C, so it may be what aquarists thought was the heat resistant Ich that is unbothered by the treatment @Fishmanic suggests. It may respond to malachite green treatments. That, I am frankly uncertain of.

I had some harlequins with something like it years ago. It flared up and disappeared after I treated for Ich, but it never vanished and never killed the fish. It always came back. It moved very slowly, and had very large cysts. We all want cut and dried answers, but this one is around, and is complicated because unlike Ich, we haven't really gotten a handle on it. It just seems weird that it strikes your new fish but vanishes right after without killing. That isn't Ich behaviour.

Update? I'm curious because I am new to the fish keeping game and I swear I see ich, then I don't...then I do...then I don't. I think part of it is the color patterns of certain fish and the LED lights we use, etc..

It sure looks like Ich to me, but I also agree with @GaryE, if it is ich I cannot see it going away, each one of those spots can create thousands of theronts each which has the potential to create another spot on the fish. If it is Ich then something must be setting the parasite back. Are you using UV system, any chemicals, something else.

Update? I'm curious because I am new to the fish keeping game and I swear I see ich, then I don't...then I do...then I don't. I think part of it is the color patterns of certain fish and the LED lights we use, etc..
I do not believe it was ich. I think it was just the slime coat with air bubbles in it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back