Ich.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JamesTasker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, a couple of my barbs (barbus pentazona) are doing the gasping thing. I also saw a bit of flicking and I suspect its ich. Are these two symptoms reliable for ich because I don't really want to treat the tank if not. About three weeks ago a barb died. It had been gasping but it didn't get any white spots as I would have expected.

However, I'm quite tempted to put the medicine in anyway because it says 'harmless to filters and all species of fish and plants.'

I'd quite like some advice please :) .

Btw, its Interpet Aquarium Treatment 6 - Anti White Spot Plus lol.

I would not add the white spot medication at this stage. Do a couple of water changes (25% every day) and see the results. Also clean out the sponge in your filter.

If you have a test kit can you check the results and post them here?

Sometimes ich infests the gills of the fish and you won't see spots on the body at all, or until they are heavily infected. :(

OK, the water is as follows:

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 10ppm (Although my test kit says 'This test kit measures nirate as nitrate ion or "total nitrate." Other nitrate test kits that measure "nitrate-nitrogen" (NO3-N) will give readings 4.4 times LESS than this kit.' :dunno: )

Temperature - 78F, 25.5C.

On my ich medicine it does say that both the symptoms I am seeing could be because of ich.

Oh yes, and I've done a water change.

A very slight tint to the water is quite common with many meds - but I'm not familiar with this one :/ - check the doseage to be safe...

For the future though I caution against using any med without a deffinate diagnosis - the more these meds are used the more resistance to them that is built up and even if they say 'harmless' they must have some affect on the fish or water quality and stress...

www :)

Do you mean your fish are gasping for air at the surface of the water?

Or gasping as in having trouble with gill function in general. irritated gills?

LIVEBait said:
Do you mean your fish are gasping for air at the surface of the water?

Or gasping as in having trouble with gill function in general. irritated gills?
Gasping as in having trouble with gill function in general.

I suppose the water change did not improve their condition :(
I would recommend that you raise the temp slightly for a few days - approx 26-27deg.
Wish you well with their recovery.

Most reactions

Back