Ich Qs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Flashing is also sometimes used to attract the attention of the other sex. It looks the same but there will be no symptoms that follow and usually the flashing is less frequent and more short term.

I am going to disagree with eagle here on water changes. I would not be reducing the salt any until you are convinced you have beaten back the ick. Usually this is about 10 days after the last spot has disappeared. When there is an ich outbreak in a tank not every single grain is on the same life cycle. This means to be safe one needs to kill those which are the last ones in the population still surviving.

Next, when using water changes to remove things from a tank, alway start with the biggest change first. Consider what happens when you reverse the order he suggested.

1. 75% leaves 1/4 of the salt.
2. 50% leaves 1/8 of the salt. (yes, I upped his 40 to 50)
3. 50% leaves 1/16 of the salt (yes, I upped his 24 to 50%)

The two at 50% are based on the idea that one normally does about 50% a week under normal conditions. The reason for this order is simple, The fish are not real happy in the salt nor are most plants. By removing more of it initially it quickly mitigates all the bad parts of having to use salt. Even doing all 50%s results in 50% of the salt, 25% and 12.5% in the space of 2 weeks. (change 1, 7 days later change 2 and 7 more days until change 3.)

There is a big difference with adding and removing salt in terms of gradual vs faster. When adding it we are raising the TDS and many fish can have difficulty with this, Unless its an emergency, we should add the salt over a day or two. But when removing it, we are returning the fish to its normal environment by lowering the tds. FW fish can handle this second stage better than they do the first. This same process also applies when adding Epsom salt to a tank in an attempt to treat constipation.

So I've gone from 2tsp per gallon
Took out 1/6 leaving 1.67
Took out 1/3 leaving 1.12
Took out 1/3 leaving 0.75
Dropped temp down some too.

TwoTankAmin said:
Flashing is also sometimes used to attract the attention of the other sex. It looks the same but there will be no symptoms that follow and usually the flashing is less frequent and more short term.

I am going to disagree with eagle here on water changes. I would not be reducing the salt any until you are convinced you have beaten back the ick. Usually this is about 10 days after the last spot has disappeared. When there is an ich outbreak in a tank not every single grain is on the same life cycle. This means to be safe one needs to kill those which are the last ones in the population still surviving.

Next, when using water changes to remove things from a tank, alway start with the biggest change first. Consider what happens when you reverse the order he suggested.

1. 75% leaves 1/4 of the salt.
2. 50% leaves 1/8 of the salt. (yes, I upped his 40 to 50)
3. 50% leaves 1/16 of the salt (yes, I upped his 24 to 50%)

The two at 50% are based on the idea that one normally does about 50% a week under normal conditions. The reason for this order is simple, The fish are not real happy in the salt nor are most plants. By removing more of it initially it quickly mitigates all the bad parts of having to use salt. Even doing all 50%s results in 50% of the salt, 25% and 12.5% in the space of 2 weeks. (change 1, 7 days later change 2 and 7 more days until change 3.)

There is a big difference with adding and removing salt in terms of gradual vs faster. When adding it we are raising the TDS and many fish can have difficulty with this, Unless its an emergency, we should add the salt over a day or two. But when removing it, we are returning the fish to its normal environment by lowering the tds. FW fish can handle this second stage better than they do the first. This same process also applies when adding Epsom salt to a tank in an attempt to treat constipation.

I agree with you regarding not removing the salt until certain the ich is gone.

I prefer to go with the smaller changes first, since there would be less stress on the fish dropping in salinity in smaller doses.  

No problem with disagreements though.  More opinions are more interesting than group think.

took out another 1/3 so 1/2 tsp per gallon remains.
im stopping the ich treatment because i really dont think thats what it was. 

The salt treatment still may have had its benefits even if it wasn't ich. Very sorry one of your fish did not make it! 

The second female still has slight signs of the same infection. I've given her another myxazin bath. She has this little spot on her side which looks just like the pics further up of the one that died, but the white is only very tiny. I think one of her gills looks odd too, like a bit's missing? So hard to tell whether it's just the light and she won't hold still!
If it is a fungal infection, is this the right treatment? It's got malachite green in it. Should I start another thread?

ellena said:
The second female still has slight signs of the same infection. I've given her another myxazin bath. She has this little spot on her side which looks just like the pics further up of the one that died, but the white is only very tiny. I think one of her gills looks odd too, like a bit's missing? So hard to tell whether it's just the light and she won't hold still!
If it is a fungal infection, is this the right treatment? It's got malachite green in it. Should I start another thread?
Yes ellena, I think a new thread is a great idea. I never dealt with fungal infections myself and would have to look it up too. Probably best if someone with experience helps you with this!

Just a note- it is more important to ramp up the salt in stages as this increases TDS than to lower which does the opposite. Fish can usually adapt upwards more easily than down wards. Fish living in higher TDS normally will not have issues going higher and then back to normal. These same fish would have serious issues if their normal tds levels were dropped rapidly. On the other hand fish from lower TDS water who are being subjected to the stress of higher TDS will be "happy" to have things brought back to normal.

A perfect example is the dry and rainy seasons I just did on a pleco tank, The normal TDS of 83 ppm was raised over about 3 months to almost 190 ppm. In two water changes done on a Sunday and Tuesday they were dropped to 138 and then 83 ppm with temps dropped from 91F to about 76 F and then allowed to rise a few degress.. No fish were lost, no fish had issues. Unfortunately, no fish spawned :(

TwoTankAmin said:
Just a note- it is more important to ramp up the salt in stages as this increases TDS than to lower which does the opposite. Fish can usually adapt upwards more easily than down wards. Fish living in higher TDS normally will not have issues going higher and then back to normal. These same fish would have serious issues if their normal tds levels were dropped rapidly. On the other hand fish from lower TDS water who are being subjected to the stress of higher TDS will be "happy" to have things brought back to normal.

A perfect example is the dry and rainy seasons I just did on a pleco tank, The normal TDS of 83 ppm was raised over about 3 months to almost 190 ppm. In two water changes done on a Sunday and Tuesday they were dropped to 138 and then 83 ppm with temps dropped from 91F to about 76 F and then allowed to rise a few degress.. No fish were lost, no fish had issues. Unfortunately, no fish spawned 
sad.png

You must have been playing the wrong music.  Next time try Barry White and Marvin Gaye.

Another 1/2 out, leaving 1/8. No change in the gourami.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back